The 20/20 Experience 2 of 2 - Justin Timberlake
6.9

Review this album

1. May 14, 2014
    Sadly, It's garbage. It's the polar opposite of the surprisingly good first 20/20 Experience album. It's like this crappy rap/R&B sort of mix with poor production. I did not like a single song on this album and would not recommend it at all. Stick with the first album, It's far better.
  2. Jun 20, 2014
    A primeira parte era ruim,a segunda pior ainda.
    A única coisa legal que tem é um título de música que soa bem TKO,então,não merece nem 1.
    É 0 mesmo,e mande ele aprender que voz não faz album.
  3. Nov 16, 2013
    I am so disappointed with this record. The first volume really hooked me in a way I didn't expect. And this one has done the opposite; not a single song really worth listening to a second time. How bizarre.
  4. Nov 29, 2013
    First of all, I wanna talk about the few compliments I have to give. The main one is that the overall sound & production style can be pretty good. While I wouldn’t say the melodies are as catchy or the instrumentation is as distinctive from track to track, for a lot of the time they’re at least serviceable. The rhythm sections at their best are tight, punchy & keep the songs going at aFirst of all, I wanna talk about the few compliments I have to give. The main one is that the overall sound & production style can be pretty good. While I wouldn’t say the melodies are as catchy or the instrumentation is as distinctive from track to track, for a lot of the time they’re at least serviceable. The rhythm sections at their best are tight, punchy & keep the songs going at a good pace. “Take Back the Night” was a fantastic choice for the lead single. It’s a smooth slice of late-70’s disco-funk that works in all departments. It’s a fun party song that does everything a fun party song can do right. It has that same natural coolness that made “Suit & Tie” another great first impression. The one other song I have nothing negative to say anything about is “Amnesia”, an effectively melancholy breakup song with some of the best lyrics on the whole album. The bluesy guitar riffs in “Only When I Walk Away” were also a great touch. Now onto the negatives…

I thought the first 20/20 was pretty good, if a little bloated or cheesy at times. The songwriting was solid for the most part & there was still a potentially great pop album with the core songs. But here, in most cases not even those are worth existing. The first big problem is the lyrics. There are extremely badly written corny metaphors for girls/sex/etc in nearly every song of the first half that just come off cheesy & forced. There’s no real creativity to be found in any of them. And when you take away the “symbolism” those first they're really boring in terms of subject matter, never going outside generic tropes of clubbing & sex. “Murder” actually had a fairly interesting concept going for it about a beautiful but deceptive girl that only sets out to break hearts. But that whole theme is undercut by the narrator happily giving in to her temptation. It really sends a mixed message as to what the listener is supposed to take from this song, made even worse with the cringe-worthy Yoko Ono/Beatles reference in the first few bars of Jay-Z’s verse. And “TKO” just feels awkwardly phoned-in. I’ve personally never been in the situation described in the song, but I find it too one-dimensional to come off authentic. “Amnesia” uses its figurative language to enhance the emotion being conveyed, which “TKO” fails to do all that well.

Also, this is a horribly unfocused album. In one song JT is a womanizing playboy, then in the next he’s on the innocent receiving end of a breakup, then in the next he’s reflecting on his current long-term relationship. All I see is either 1) an identity crisis of JT’s musical persona, or 2) a compilation of random outtakes from the first one. And after all the unabashed misogyny & douchey pickup lines, the album ends with 2 songs called “Not a Bad Thing” and “Pair of Wings” that try to portray him as some innocent nice-guy. The former is a generic love song void of personality that sounds like a bad N’SYNC outtake remixed for Radio Disney. And the latter finds JT trying both desperately & lazily to get the fangirls swooning (even though chances are he succeeded with that goal). For any of the little complaints I had about the lyrical content in the first one, it at least felt sincere a good majority of the time. This on the other hand is one painfully forced moment after the next. Case in point: “Drink You Away”, a lame attempt at country that finds JT embarrassingly out of his element. He seems to just grab at the lyrical theme’s default traits rather than actually being creative about it & making it his own.

The second big problem is the the song lengths. He said in an interview, “If Pink Floyd & Led Zeppelin & Queen can do 10-minute songs then why can’t we?” Look, the last thing I ever wanna do is put a versatile artist in a stylistic box, but it’s clear from quotes like this that he simply doesn’t know his creative strengths & weaknesses. These aren’t ambitious epics, but meandering messes that do nothing but slow down any momentum the 4 to 5-minute pop song before it had. He also said “we’ll decide the radio edits later”, which would make sense if these didn’t just sound like pop songs with boring, nauseatingly incessant nonsense tacked on to double the run time for no good reason. “Only When I Walk Away” (as well as a lot of other songs here) would’ve been perfect if it just stopped at around the 4 minute mark instead of devolving into endless repetition & annoying vocal splicing that only drags the song as a whole down. The worst case is “True Blood”, which goes on for 10 minutes, half of which has absolutely no reason to be there. You wanna make a long song? Go ahead. But don’t think ambitious experimentation means taking a good pop song & bloating it to the point where all appeal is lost. Basically this is easily my least favorite album of 2013 so far.

Top 3 tracks: Take Back the Night, Amnesia, Only When I Walk Away
    Score: 39/100
    My Facebook review page: That Non-Elitist Music Fan
  5. Oct 8, 2013
    Frustrating. A sequel that never should have existed, at least he will profit from it. Justin is selling crappy songs.

"I don’t understand it, tell me how could you be so low" OK
  6. Oct 23, 2013
    When I had first heard of this album, I though Justin would improve and get better from The 20/20 Experience. He doesn't. Now here we are with 74 minutes of material to delve into from JT. The problem is that most of the songs aren't remotely interesting, new, or meaningful. Sometimes on this album Justin doesn't even try to make the songs catchy or memorable. Halfway through, you beginWhen I had first heard of this album, I though Justin would improve and get better from The 20/20 Experience. He doesn't. Now here we are with 74 minutes of material to delve into from JT. The problem is that most of the songs aren't remotely interesting, new, or meaningful. Sometimes on this album Justin doesn't even try to make the songs catchy or memorable. Halfway through, you begin to realize how sporadic, redundant, tenacious and irritating this album is. The album is weak upon beginning but finishes strong with the 5 min. tracks towards the end. This album isn't all that focused either, I feel that he doesn't really reach the goal he was trying to go for. Here he has missed his target immensely and provided an experience that isn't memorable nor is it worth much. By leaving us with this, there isn't much to look forward to for Timberlake's music if he keeps going at it this way. If you think this is "refreshing" or "revolutionary" then so be it, I can't imagine why though. Here Timberlake has reached too far out ambitiously and he isn't necessarily ahead of the game now, he's lost.

Follow @PRTYNTGRVS for more music reviews
  7. Apr 5, 2015
    horrivel, tapete do bruno mars, só faz coco, deveria ser proibido de cantar, lixo musical. Ainda bem que a Britney traiu ele, além de ruim é tapete e pau pequeno

While the second release may not live up to the first, it’s hard not to hope for a third.
  2. Oct 4, 2013
    Part 2, by comparison [to Part 1], simply feels like an inessential cash grab, and it's strong evidence that everyone’s favorite pop star might be overstaying his welcome.
  3. Oct 3, 2013
    Cabaret with Drake has a catchy hook and gorgeously cheesy lyrics only Timberlake can pull off. The countrified Drink You Away almost works. The rest is forgettable.