• Record Label: Capitol
  • Release Date: Jun 7, 2005
7.9

Review this album

1. Aug 8, 2017
    Coldplay were trying to find something new during the whole album just to find out that the best songs of the record ("Fix You" and my absolute coldplay favourite "Speed of Sound") were written using pretty much the old formulas of their last album
  2. Aug 12, 2016
    Hands down, this album is most underrated Coldplay album ever. X&Y earned so many commercial success but this isn't enough for this album. Every tracks on this album are very good. More guitar riffs, more meaningful lyrics written by Chris Martin.
  3. Jun 5, 2016
    Really good album. It's so experimental and emotional. This made me like Coldplay even more. "Fix You" is probably the best song because I liked it since I was a little kid.
  4. Dec 31, 2015
    Simplesmente uma bíblia, o melhor trabalho do Coldplay! Letras lindas e bem escritas, soturno na sua medida, instrumental muito bem trabalhada e o vocal perfeito do Chris deram uma magia especial pro álbum. Perfeito!

Pontos altíssimos: Low, Talk, Fix You
  5. Dec 9, 2015
    An album rich in tone and beautifully consistent in its story and instrumentation. The melodies are simple but catchy if not sometimes drawn out a little too long. Chris Martin's performance brings the album to even higher heights with his off kilter vocals and soothing falsetto.
    CHECK IT OUT?- Absolutely!!
    BEST SONG- Swallowed By The Sea
    WORST SONG- X&Y
  6. May 1, 2015
    This was the first Coldplay album that I bought. I remember that I couldn't stop listening to it from the beginning to the end. Certain songs of it still make me cry and give me lots of feelings, such as "Swallowed in the sea" and "Til kingdom come". X&Y has a deep meaning for me and it made me fully love this band.
  7. Dec 19, 2014
    This album definitely does not have the quality of the previous two Coldplay albums. The songs aren't horrible, but there are a few that are too loud for too long or get lost in themselves. The lyrics don't connect at all, and the album has a hard time figuring itself out. Best track is Square One.
  8. Aug 4, 2014
    The sounds to this album can make you feel like you're billions of kilometers into empty space, the opposite of what this bloated album is. It's unnecessarily long, but captivating and emotionally resonant. Lyrics are still... problematic, and they don't do a Viva La Vida to cliche. It's not easy to ignore "ignite your bones".
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    While slightly beating Mylo Xyloto, I think X&Y is honestly one of the weaker albums in my opinion. It definitely had some very good songs but really I think there was only one song that I just really liked overall of them. Most of the songs just seemed a little above average to be honest, but it's still and alright album. My favorite songs would probably have to be "What If", "Fix You"While slightly beating Mylo Xyloto, I think X&Y is honestly one of the weaker albums in my opinion. It definitely had some very good songs but really I think there was only one song that I just really liked overall of them. Most of the songs just seemed a little above average to be honest, but it's still and alright album. My favorite songs would probably have to be "What If", "Fix You" (My favorite of all) and the bonus track: "Til Kingdom Come." Expand
  10. Jan 7, 2014
    This is probably my favorite Coldplay album, along with Parachutes and Rush of Blood to the Head. It's really good, in my opinion, although the average reviews don't agree with me.
  11. Sep 21, 2013
    X&Y is another Coldplay masterpiece staying on par with the majesty of their previous record and in many ways expanding its horizon. Fix You, Speed of Sound, The Hardest Part, Talk, and White Shadows as well as many others are gripping, beautifully written and musically engrossing.
  12. Dec 19, 2012
    This is an amazing album. I really like songs like Speed of Sound and Talk, including, these 2 songs made me be in love with Coldplay. Anyway, the best Coldplay's songs ever are in this album.
  13. Dec 16, 2012
    Grabbed me from the very start with it's meaningful lyrics and more upbeat songs. Twisted Logic sounded awful but that's about it. A great album by Coldplay which should appeal to every fan.
  14. Dec 15, 2012
    X&Y isn't a bad album it's just a disappointment after A Rush of Blood to the Head. It relies to heavily on Chris Martin's falsetto. It has some great songs on it but overall it lacks the variety of other Coldplay albums. It's good just not great.
  15. Sep 22, 2012
    My personal favourite, a brilliantly crafted piece of art that holds their best hits up to date, slow or fast, sad or upbeat, it's there and I love it.
  16. Sep 18, 2012
    Love it! They experimented intelligently with many kinds of instruments and finally released this piece of art. 'Square One', 'Talk' and 'Fix You' are the highlights.
  17. Sep 7, 2012
    Probably the worst Coldplay Album. When I talk of solid album, I'm talking about a set of tracks that are listenable from beggining to end. Sadly, X&Y feels so over-produced, but more importantly several songs feel like they lack a structure. I don't know If I make sense, but what I mean is that the middle-way between the choruses feel rushed. Nevertheless it still got songs like Fix You or Talk.
  18. Jan 15, 2012
    First of all, before I've heard 'Fix You' on this album, I've had no interest in owning a Coldplay album, and thought they were utter trash. Turns out I was wrong, and after listening to the rest of this album, starting off with 'Square One,' 'What If,' and 'Talk.' After hearing these tracks I was in dire need for more. I listened to the rest of the album was completely interested in theFirst of all, before I've heard 'Fix You' on this album, I've had no interest in owning a Coldplay album, and thought they were utter trash. Turns out I was wrong, and after listening to the rest of this album, starting off with 'Square One,' 'What If,' and 'Talk.' After hearing these tracks I was in dire need for more. I listened to the rest of the album was completely interested in the band and their music. If you haven't listened to Coldplay yet, and really want some nice relaxing good music, I suggest you get this. Expand
  19. Dec 16, 2011
    Beautiful clash of sentimentality and rock. Dreamy, yet capturing. 'Fix You' was the first song I ever heard of Coldplay - I have never forgotten the moment.
  20. Nov 16, 2011
    After critical and commercial success with their first two albums, this was the difficult third album for Coldplay. Expectations were very high from everyone and EMI were banking on it to save their year in 2005. The band delayed the release of it several times but were under pressure to get it out. You can tell that, much like U2's POP album, a few more months working on it would haveAfter critical and commercial success with their first two albums, this was the difficult third album for Coldplay. Expectations were very high from everyone and EMI were banking on it to save their year in 2005. The band delayed the release of it several times but were under pressure to get it out. You can tell that, much like U2's POP album, a few more months working on it would have made all the difference. Don't get me wrong, X & Y is very good and has some of the best songs the band have produced on it, but it's probably two tracks too long and it's overproduced. This overproduction (along with the colossal success the band enjoyed) is probably what turned many of alternative crowd off the band. Expand
  21. Oct 28, 2011
    This album is not quite on the same level as Rush Of Blood To The Head because of the lack of lyrical strength and similar sounding songs, but there are some good songs on this album, as always, like "Fix You", "The Hardest Part" and "Speed of Sound".
  22. Sep 8, 2011
    I loved Rush of Blood, but this is easily Coldplay's weakest album. Most of the songs are pretty average with a few standouts (Fix You, White Shadows, Talk) I'd give it credit for being less piano based than Rush of Blood, but the lyrics are mainly empty. Coldplay are still a talented group but this isn't their greatest work.
  23. Aug 6, 2011
    A weaker album. It seems that they weren't as inspired as in their two previous; they had ran out of ideas (this is proved later in the change of sound of Viva la Vida). Still, a few songs like "fix you" or "speed of sound" make this album good enough to listen for Coldplay fans (by no means should a non-coldplay fan start with this album)
  24. Jun 21, 2011
    Before this album, I was a massive Coldplay fan. This was a HUGE disappointment! Fame clearly went to their heads and they thought they could release any sappy nursery rhyme and the world would eat it up. Unfortunately, that's what happened. Honestly, I can't tell if they were trying too hard or too little with this album.

I've come back to this album several times, months apart, and

I've come back to this album several times, months apart, and get nauseous with all but two tracks: White Shadows and Speed of Sound. Those are more what I expected from the album, earning it the two points I give it. No I didn't give up hope on Coldplay, and think they've redeemed themselves with 'Viva la Vida'. Let's only hope that 'The Bakery' delivers, as well ...
  25. Jan 5, 2011
    Coldplay's tendency to water down their albums with mediocre filler is most apparent on this album. While a cohesive, unified sound can work quite well in some cases, it hurts Coldplay here. This comes off as a timid effort from a band that has an aversion to genuine risk-taking.
  26. Oct 10, 2010
    It isnt as powerful and dark as the second album....and its just full of decent ballads. i feel the loss of some heavier tracks . but their change of style in each album is admirable and there is steel some memorable tracks (like fix you , twisted logic,low & square one) but it seems to me that some tracks are something between chris and his wife and theyre not for the listeners...!!!It isnt as powerful and dark as the second album....and its just full of decent ballads. i feel the loss of some heavier tracks . but their change of style in each album is admirable and there is steel some memorable tracks (like fix you , twisted logic,low & square one) but it seems to me that some tracks are something between chris and his wife and theyre not for the listeners...!!! third album of a good band is always so important...it can make them legendary (the examples are Radiohead, muse, The White Stripes &......) or it can make them just a good band which have many fans. I think X&Y was a good album which made Coldplay more popular than more respectable. Expand
  27. Oct 8, 2010
    While I believe X and Y is marginally a stronger album than A Rush of Blood to the Head, it's still not the smashing album I had hoped for. There are some standout tracks, but some seem either too similar to another, or are just thee to fill the album.
  28. Joaoalien
    Apr 20, 2008
    best album ever made
  29. AlexS.
    Nov 20, 2007
    One of the best music albums of all time to my taste. Coldplay is the most sophisticated group there is. The lyrics, the music... they're on another planet!
  30. SophieM
    Oct 17, 2007
    I think 'Parachutes' was a very good album (8/10) and fantastic for a debut album, and 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' is a wonderful album (9/10 and maybe even 10), but I'm afraid that to me personally every track feels like it has done better before on one of the older Coldplay albums. There is no doubt that Chris and co are talented musicians who can create great I think 'Parachutes' was a very good album (8/10) and fantastic for a debut album, and 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' is a wonderful album (9/10 and maybe even 10), but I'm afraid that to me personally every track feels like it has done better before on one of the older Coldplay albums. There is no doubt that Chris and co are talented musicians who can create great songs: but they have not taken any big risks with this one and it's disappointing for me. I played it and it just felt emotionless to me. None of the singles did anything for me either. Not awful by any standard, but mediocre. 2/5. Expand
  31. mark
    Oct 10, 2007
    Woefully mediocre. How records this flawed can get perfect hundreds is beyond me. It's too long, has terrible sequencing, and there's not enough boldness. It has some nice guitars, but the excellent Square One and Talk barely redeem it.
  32. MusicLover
    Sep 8, 2007
    The reason I've given such a low rating to this album is that I feel it lacked consistency. Like they say, the highs were high, but the lows were low. On one hand, you have truly deep songs like "A Message" & "Fix You", but then you have other songs that don't even come close to that level. After listening to the whole album, I felt like only a few songs really showed how much The reason I've given such a low rating to this album is that I feel it lacked consistency. Like they say, the highs were high, but the lows were low. On one hand, you have truly deep songs like "A Message" & "Fix You", but then you have other songs that don't even come close to that level. After listening to the whole album, I felt like only a few songs really showed how much talent Coldplay has. I still love Coldplay, though. Expand
  33. JacekA.
    Sep 7, 2007
    This is first really alternative music coldplay's album , its an superb ambitious experiment ,first real contact of romantic lyricks and cold, calculated rock-electronic music which rings In Your ears for a long long time after You listen to this for the first time.Moving stuff!
  34. scottw.
    Aug 19, 2007
    I think they could of done much better. Its still all right though, just not as good as the last ones.You still get some good songs, and is still a good buy.
  35. andiev
    Jul 2, 2007
    the best coldplay album out of the three. i was very disspointed that they're not gonna make a fourth album. i gave x and y a ten out of ten because i like all the songs on the album, unlike some artists where you like only seven or eight songs and there's always one or two songs you just don't like at all. Coldplay forever!!!
  36. ErwinK
    Jun 7, 2007
    Just plain dreary. Alternative musak. There is no way they are going to topple U2 - U2 have at least totally re-invented themselves a number of times. Coldplay have moved nowhere in almost ten years... their music still sounds like Starbucks.
  37. ixata
    May 6, 2007
    typical coldplay sound, very ambitious butnever reaches its goal. and martin's voice is just too painful, all the falsettos, and stuffs.. speed of sound is the only bright moment here.. others, shud be made renditions instead
  38. VeronikaL
    Feb 18, 2007
    It is very good-that is my opinion.I love them!
  39. AlexP.
    Feb 13, 2007
    Absolutely Coldplay's best album - the depth, scope, and undefinable epicness of songs such as Square One, Fix You, Talk surpass their masterpieces 'Clocks' and 'Yellow'. This whole album flows so darn smoothly, chocolate to the ears that rock you on relentlessly. The genius of A Rush of Blood and Parachutes is carried on but with a heightened sense of granduer - Absolutely Coldplay's best album - the depth, scope, and undefinable epicness of songs such as Square One, Fix You, Talk surpass their masterpieces 'Clocks' and 'Yellow'. This whole album flows so darn smoothly, chocolate to the ears that rock you on relentlessly. The genius of A Rush of Blood and Parachutes is carried on but with a heightened sense of granduer - music by men who know that they're the best and are perfect in delivering ground breaking songs... on to topple U2!! Expand
  40. BrunoI
    Dec 1, 2006
    This album of Coldplay is masterpiece,and i heard that Coldplay work on they new album
  41. IbanL
    Oct 5, 2006
    Unforgivably bad. They try to exploit the same modus operandi over and over again, showing that they've got run out of ideas, if they someday had any. Avoiding this could be a great idea.
  42. PassItnow
    Sep 20, 2006
    Not as good as parachutes or x&y but definately more upbeat.still as thought provoking as ever. u might hate them. u might hate chris, but u still know them and u can still name their songs. All up in ur brains!!!!! u gotta love it
  43. Myles#13
    Sep 6, 2006
    Where to begin... well, 'Square One' starts off the album. It's hard to believe, but I used to hate Coldplay... this song got me hooked and brought me to actually listen to the whole album. Now I LOVE Coldplay! For a band to hit 3 homeruns on their first 3 albums... they are truly great! My other fav's are 'Fix You', 'Low', 'Message', and Where to begin... well, 'Square One' starts off the album. It's hard to believe, but I used to hate Coldplay... this song got me hooked and brought me to actually listen to the whole album. Now I LOVE Coldplay! For a band to hit 3 homeruns on their first 3 albums... they are truly great! My other fav's are 'Fix You', 'Low', 'Message', and 'Til Kingdom Come'... great album, go buy it right now! Expand
  44. BruinsFan247
    Aug 7, 2006
    I am appauled at some of the negative reviews of this album. It sounds like the old "my favorite band isnt underground anymore" syndrome. Dont be bitter because everyone else now likes you music. This album is a pure stroke of genious. Is it better than Rush of Blood To The Head or Parachutes? maybe not, but its still a great album.
  45. RyanS
    Jul 24, 2006
    Every once in a while there's a band that screams chemistry. A band that obviously has a supreme amount of talent, with each band member contributing in their own, special way. One of those bands, is Coldplay, and they've sounded better with their most recent album, "X&Y" . Capturing slick bass lines, riveting guitar parts, intense drumming, and simply put, beautiful music that Every once in a while there's a band that screams chemistry. A band that obviously has a supreme amount of talent, with each band member contributing in their own, special way. One of those bands, is Coldplay, and they've sounded better with their most recent album, "X&Y" . Capturing slick bass lines, riveting guitar parts, intense drumming, and simply put, beautiful music that could easy shed a tear or two. Although the music in general isn't as great as "A Rush of Blood to the Head", the emotions here are somewhat deeper and more powerful . Even though some listeners may find Chirs Martin's lyrics on the edge of platitude, no one will regret the fact it's beautiful. If you're into heartfelt songs above love and heartache, "X&Y" is definitely the album for you. Expand
  46. robb
    Jun 19, 2006
    Easily the weakest of their three albums. Consistent with a band that became too big too soon. If they don't right the ship with their next album I'm outta here.
  47. TyeN.
    Jun 16, 2006
    Is it better than "A Rush of Blood to the Head"? No. But you know what? It's still an excellent album. However, what it packs sonically, it lacks in emotional depth and lyrical depth. Yet, regardless of these flaws, it's still my favorite album of 2005. "Square One", "What If", "White Shadows", "Fix You", "Speed of Sound", "Low", and "'Til Kingdom Come" are tops. "Fix You", Is it better than "A Rush of Blood to the Head"? No. But you know what? It's still an excellent album. However, what it packs sonically, it lacks in emotional depth and lyrical depth. Yet, regardless of these flaws, it's still my favorite album of 2005. "Square One", "What If", "White Shadows", "Fix You", "Speed of Sound", "Low", and "'Til Kingdom Come" are tops. "Fix You", for me, was the best song of 2005. If they can blend what they've done here sonically, with the emotional and lyrical depth of "A Rush of Blood to the Head", they'll have the greatest album ever. Hopefully their fourth effort will be that album. Expand
  48. JennaP
    Jun 11, 2006
    Coldplay is my all-time favorite band. Let's get that out of the way first. Thus, it irks me to give them this mediocre rating but X+Y surprisingly gets it wrong more than it gets it right. The production is either too sparse or too heavy-handed in a few places which annoys me for some inexplicable reason because I don't usually mind production--or lack thereof. All in all, X+Y Coldplay is my all-time favorite band. Let's get that out of the way first. Thus, it irks me to give them this mediocre rating but X+Y surprisingly gets it wrong more than it gets it right. The production is either too sparse or too heavy-handed in a few places which annoys me for some inexplicable reason because I don't usually mind production--or lack thereof. All in all, X+Y is extremely top-heavy. The first five songs are all brilliant (for Coldplay's standards at least). Then you get the title track which is truly filler and then the boring, recycled Speed of Sound. The birds go flying at the speed of sound to show you where it all began.....what?! A Message is the last glimmer of hope for the rest of the record. After that none of the songs stick, regretfully. Chris tries to meander into Radiohead territory with Twisted Logic but fails. The impromptu 'Til Kingdom Come is ironically one of the best songs on the whole record even if it is a 'hidden track'. But alas Coldplay, I still forgive you and will be enjoying Talk for years to come. X+Y is a misstep but no one's careers have been totally illustrious. Expand
  49. MichaelH
    Jun 2, 2006
    Masterful.
  50. JohnN
    May 16, 2006
    My God this may be the most boring sleep inducing album ever after the excellent Rush of blood to the head they release this rubbish on the world and like U2 and the RHCP no matter how bad it is people will still pretend they like it and anyone who gives it a 10 is a stone cold lying to themselves.
  51. Carillon
    Apr 8, 2006
    A certainly underrated album! I love every single song on it even though they needed some time to reveal their beauty. But aren't those the best ones? I love albums that have to grow, because they are the most lasting ... I could listen to it over and over again and it wouldn't get boring at all
  52. stevec
    Apr 6, 2006
    i agree wit the critics lovely tunes - occasionally good lyrics - very listenable but lacks personality
  53. RBrown
    Mar 14, 2006
    passive. Would be sleep inducing if it weren't irritatingly whiny.
  54. JuliaT
    Mar 9, 2006
    It's perfect. Coldplay is the band for a new generation and yet they reach back to the signs of past epic masterpeices as "Dark Side of the Moon".. Proiduction and engineering on "X&Y" are flawless. This is the first band that I've actually liked in the past 20 years, and will continue to follow them..
  55. DavidC
    Feb 1, 2006
    absolutaly wonderfull
  56. CrystalH
    Jan 25, 2006
    This is a great album for U2 fans and well...coldplay fans abviously.
  57. coldplayfan
    Jan 23, 2006
    By this stage, I don't see how anybody can't hate coldplay. You may call them boring, and you may call them overplayed, but that's all a load of crap. Their songs are a huge inspiration to the world. A message has to be one of the best songs ever. One of the reviews say that the songs never take off at the beginning, but he doesn't know that in order to be a true By this stage, I don't see how anybody can't hate coldplay. You may call them boring, and you may call them overplayed, but that's all a load of crap. Their songs are a huge inspiration to the world. A message has to be one of the best songs ever. One of the reviews say that the songs never take off at the beginning, but he doesn't know that in order to be a true coldplayer, you have to listen to the entire song. There is true aggression in every last one of their songs. In my opinion, they are the next big Cream (minus the incredible drums, and incredible guitar), only I think they will last way longer. They are all friends, and that is the equation that equals success. Can't wait for their new release, whenever it may be... Expand
  58. AlejandroS
    Jan 17, 2006
    There are many great songs in this album, and I don't mind the "progression" with all those weird sounds but let's face it an romantic Radiohead will NEVER work, from X1 to Y6 it's a masterpiece but after that... the equation doesn't make the cut
  59. BooYah
    Jan 12, 2006
    I'm taking off a point for the generally un-noteworthy lyrics, and a point for a couple of lackluster songs near the end of the album. Otherwise, I think this album has that vibe I remember from Parachutes. The songs are evocative and the instrumentation makes them sound familiar and new all at once. Highly recommended. Just a note to those of you who think this album is derivative: I'm taking off a point for the generally un-noteworthy lyrics, and a point for a couple of lackluster songs near the end of the album. Otherwise, I think this album has that vibe I remember from Parachutes. The songs are evocative and the instrumentation makes them sound familiar and new all at once. Highly recommended. Just a note to those of you who think this album is derivative: Everything is! Stop ruining a perfectly good listening experience with your unreasonable expectations. Oh, and YOU try writing an album this consistent. Good luck with that, Superstar... Expand
  60. IanB
    Jan 10, 2006
    In places, there are predictable harmonies. However,Mark's metaphors, melodies, and talent that is all performed in a Techo, alternative, and pop style is just fabulous and it makes you ask about the earth and what is truly real through those interesting metaphors. My father, my mother, and I love this CD.( I live my parents because i am only 12 so I'm not an adult who In places, there are predictable harmonies. However,Mark's metaphors, melodies, and talent that is all performed in a Techo, alternative, and pop style is just fabulous and it makes you ask about the earth and what is truly real through those interesting metaphors. My father, my mother, and I love this CD.( I live my parents because i am only 12 so I'm not an adult who unfortunately has to live with his parents.) i got it at best buy and it's worth $20.00 as opposed to $14.00. Expand
  61. DiegoA
    Jan 7, 2006
    This album rocks fuck thatr gay album "Smile" by brian wilson.
  62. alyssac
    Jan 6, 2006
    AWE-INSPIRING. Although AROBTTH still remains my favourite Coldplay album, x&y breaks new ground. You have to give it time to sink in and to get used to it, but when you do, it's worth it. Coldplay will always be my favourite band, with lyrics, creativity, and talent that I don't think I'll find anywhere else.
  63. GazR
    Jan 3, 2006
    Fantastic. The only things that bring it down are the sad facts it doesn't quite compete with parachues and a rush of blood to the head. Otherwise brilliant, a masterpice in song writing. the X part of the ablbum is near perfection! but sadly the Y part of X&Y lets the album down a bit, with the exeption of speed of sound(which i loved at first but has died on me) and swallowed in Fantastic. The only things that bring it down are the sad facts it doesn't quite compete with parachues and a rush of blood to the head. Otherwise brilliant, a masterpice in song writing. the X part of the ablbum is near perfection! but sadly the Y part of X&Y lets the album down a bit, with the exeption of speed of sound(which i loved at first but has died on me) and swallowed in the sea. Definatly worth getting. Fixyou is such a beautiful song, possibly he most under-rated song ever? Alongside Shiver in parachutes! Other good songs are square one, a message and low. Other geat songs are What if Talk X&Y white shadows. Expand
  64. NickS
    Jan 2, 2006
    People have slammed this because it's not as great as A Rush Of Blood To The Head...but nothing ever will be. This one takes lots of repeated play throughs before you understand and feel the album - something many critics will never do. It takes time, and if you push on with it, you'll finally get it and realise how great it is. It's let down by a few songs, namely A People have slammed this because it's not as great as A Rush Of Blood To The Head...but nothing ever will be. This one takes lots of repeated play throughs before you understand and feel the album - something many critics will never do. It takes time, and if you push on with it, you'll finally get it and realise how great it is. It's let down by a few songs, namely A Message, but shines with Low, Twisted Logic, Talk and the title track, X&Y. Expand
  65. DubM
    Dec 25, 2005
    FUCK YEAH! People haven't been giving X&Y all the credit that it deserves.
  66. BlakeT
    Dec 24, 2005
    I'm new to Coldplay. I go the CD and did enjoy it. I can see what others mean when they say uninspired. It isn't brilliant or that creative. But, some of the songs have merit and it is worth a listen. I wonder if the band is experiencing the Yoko Ono effect after the birth of their baby Orange.
  67. ShaneK
    Dec 22, 2005
    Best album of 2005.
  68. JK
    Dec 19, 2005
    GACK!!!!! i hate coldplay... 100% yawn-fest.... k thats all
  69. EffE
    Dec 19, 2005
    C'mon, all of you Coldplay haters, this is POP music we're talking about here !!! Pop bands don't have to reinvent music everytime they make an album, they just need to write nice tunes. And Coldplay has for this one. Not perfect and not as good as their first two, but still better than many thinks.
  70. kazzas
    Dec 11, 2005
    The first Coldplay album i disliked with the exception of Trouble and Shiver. Rush of Blood... was a class album, one of my favourites. When i heard Speed of Sound i thought that this album might beat the high standards of its predocessor, but NO. I got the album and was seriously disappointed. Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound and What If are the only tracks which i would consider putting The first Coldplay album i disliked with the exception of Trouble and Shiver. Rush of Blood... was a class album, one of my favourites. When i heard Speed of Sound i thought that this album might beat the high standards of its predocessor, but NO. I got the album and was seriously disappointed. Square One, Talk, Speed of Sound and What If are the only tracks which i would consider putting on the last album. The second half of the album is appualing. After Speed of Sound you may as well press off. I seriously believe that the BE HERE NOW affect may hit Coldplay. They may be one of the worlds' biggest bands but clearly a long way off the best. Expand
  71. serg
    Dec 3, 2005
    coldplay does not have the sharping, effecting and strong sides of the music.. there is no work of guitar there is no interesting melody or a creative sound.. nothing.. it is just for the music listeners who wants to listen simple pop melodies.. sorry coldplay, so far away from radiohead. it is not fair that coldplay claimed themselves as the best music band in the world. for God sake.. coldplay does not have the sharping, effecting and strong sides of the music.. there is no work of guitar there is no interesting melody or a creative sound.. nothing.. it is just for the music listeners who wants to listen simple pop melodies.. sorry coldplay, so far away from radiohead. it is not fair that coldplay claimed themselves as the best music band in the world. for God sake.. how can they decide this.. I do not hear a "best band" in this album.. please do not exaggerate.. Expand
  72. JonR
    Nov 19, 2005
    X&Y was the first Coldplay album I bought thanks to my addiction to the Fix You video from Live 8 when AOL still had it up. Really lovely stuff. But as a whole this album drowns itself out. Theres very little (if any) contrast in pacing or atmosphere from song to song, which kills the album. Sure it has some highlights, White Shadows, the formentioned Fix You and the final three tracks X&Y was the first Coldplay album I bought thanks to my addiction to the Fix You video from Live 8 when AOL still had it up. Really lovely stuff. But as a whole this album drowns itself out. Theres very little (if any) contrast in pacing or atmosphere from song to song, which kills the album. Sure it has some highlights, White Shadows, the formentioned Fix You and the final three tracks come to mind. Most of the rest is rather blah, average. I have no problem with falsetto vocals either (hell I love Radiohead and Muse) so don't go into that. Basically this albums has 5 great songs and then a collection of a couple "good" ones and many without any zip. Expand
  73. JasperB
    Nov 13, 2005
    The thing that hurts it is that it's worse than Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head.
  74. TysonH
    Nov 9, 2005
    its great. its not perfect, but still fantastic.
  75. BeckyD
    Nov 6, 2005
    The first time I listened to this CD, I wasn't too thrilled. But since then, I've found myself listening to it once or more everyday.
  76. rubyha
    Nov 1, 2005
    this is the most soothing album i have heard in my life.
  77. CarolB
    Oct 31, 2005
    A good effort, but doesn't live up to the hype. "Fix You" is great. But the album as a whole feels a bit repetitive and bland. Definitely not a "Masterpiece" as Blender calls it. Maybe I'm just not too into Chris Martin's falsetto vocals.
  78. Al.ck.
    Oct 28, 2005
    You can't possibly hate this album coz it;s damn good.
  79. MarioC
    Oct 11, 2005
    A little deception...
  80. PeterM
    Oct 5, 2005
    yeah, alot of the lyrics are crap, but its a grower. probably 8 good tracks. There's just a great, spirit and vibe here, especially on `Kingdon Come` and `Swallowed by the Sea`. The chorus on `What if` is awful though - worst I've heard in years.
  81. mikeb
    Oct 3, 2005
    I liked it! Good music to study to... or a long trip! ha
  82. MichelleB
    Sep 29, 2005
    Was disappointed for the first few listenings. Put it down for a week. Picked it back up. Got stuck on Square One for another week. Then really listened to the whole album - now I find I can't stop listening to it. Every time I listen, I hear more -- I might even make my husband a Coldplay fan!
  83. JenW
    Sep 28, 2005
    I'm lukewarm, although there are some musically satisfying bits and pieces in this album. Overall I can't find one song that feels like a coherent whole, perhaps with exception to "The Hardest Part"; there seems to be something simple and pulled together about that one. I keep playing the album, feverently looking for an answer to their "code", but coming up with nothing in the end.
  84. obi-wankenobi
    Sep 28, 2005
    the best album of 2005 by far
  85. BenS
    Sep 23, 2005
    I hate to break the party but I am unconvinced by this album. The lyrics aren't 'crap', but are sadly, dull. Love ballads about nothing-in-particurlar are in I know but after an excellent 'fix you', 'what if', and 'a message' are a bit boring really. There is nothing to match the extreme catchiness of 'clocks', no ballad that has ever I hate to break the party but I am unconvinced by this album. The lyrics aren't 'crap', but are sadly, dull. Love ballads about nothing-in-particurlar are in I know but after an excellent 'fix you', 'what if', and 'a message' are a bit boring really. There is nothing to match the extreme catchiness of 'clocks', no ballad that has ever bettered 'yellow', in fact CMs voice seems to have lost some of its once appealing personality, ho hum Expand
  86. Patrick
    Sep 19, 2005
    This is a very good album. There isnt really much to say about it, its almost perfection. Speed of sound, the most played track of the album on TV, is really a masterpiece people will look back in twenty years and say, atleast the 2000s has some good music ;)
  87. PhilT
    Sep 19, 2005
    This album is cliched, sentimental and formulaic. The more I listen the more annoyed I become. This isn't the greatness it should/could have been.
  88. Dale
    Sep 16, 2005
    Some very harsh words have been said against what is arguably the best British band going at present. To say the lyrics are 'crappy' and the songs are a 'Radiohead spin-off' really shows some of you lot obviously don't use your ears to listen to music. Coldplay scrapped a staggering 60 songs to make the album as good as possible, and I would say they've Some very harsh words have been said against what is arguably the best British band going at present. To say the lyrics are 'crappy' and the songs are a 'Radiohead spin-off' really shows some of you lot obviously don't use your ears to listen to music. Coldplay scrapped a staggering 60 songs to make the album as good as possible, and I would say they've succeeded. Yes, they have incorperated some electronic sounding into the album, but by no means does this make the songs sound exactly like Radiohead. Songs like 'Square One', 'Talk' and 'White Shadows' demonstrate some beautiful riffs, drum beats and inspirational music, whilst the album killers (Speed of Sound, Fix You being the main offerings) are truly excellent songs. Yes, the album is overatted by the media, and yes this isn't a Parachutes, but without a doubt this is a superb delicacy of passion which Chris and the lads should be proud of. Expand
  89. JenniferW
    Sep 14, 2005
    Why don't these critics get it? "X&Y" is just full of melody, flow, and rythym. And these people call themselves "music critics". This album..when all is said and done will be a classic..kind of like U2's Joshua Tree. I, like most Coldplay fans cannot comprehend as to why bad reviews are written about this album..it is simply great music..just shut up and listen. Oh by the Why don't these critics get it? "X&Y" is just full of melody, flow, and rythym. And these people call themselves "music critics". This album..when all is said and done will be a classic..kind of like U2's Joshua Tree. I, like most Coldplay fans cannot comprehend as to why bad reviews are written about this album..it is simply great music..just shut up and listen. Oh by the way...Chris Martin is a very underrated singer, that boy can sing oh can he sing. Expand
  90. JasonS
    Sep 9, 2005
    This is the best album that I have listened to by far. Its just brilliant it gets better ever time I listen to it, ColdPlay's best album that they have so wonderfully created.
  91. alecv.
    Sep 9, 2005
    I've never listened to Coldplay before, but this Album is the best I have listened to in a long time. Listen to it on headphones really loud and it gets a whole new sound! I cannot understand it gets bad reviews. This is simply great music. Isn't it all a totally subjective question of taste and mood, anyway, How can anyone be in a position to trash it officially???
  92. sk
    Sep 8, 2005
    As Paste magazine suggests, it takes commitment to listen to this album.....when I did, I WAS rewarded! Martin admits that his lyrics are no great shakes, but he feels the music and chords are exceptional...and I agree. As for his voice, I find that he uses that as an instrument. This is one of my favorite albums!
  93. RobL
    Sep 7, 2005
    There is nothing worse than boring music, and Coldplay is bordom distilled. Perhaps the most absurdly overblown band in history.
  94. DarrylR
    Sep 5, 2005
    This is simply the best album i have ever heard. A cocktail of beautifull songs mixed with a strange sense of darkness that i have not heard since Radiohead's Ok Computer. It sends shivers through your bones. Breath taking!
  95. AleksC.
    Sep 4, 2005
    While this may be a very successful record, it doesn't quite mak sense with me. The entire album sounds like some old B-sides that got some touch ups. Way too similar to their previous work, it's hard to distinguish them as anything new. It is obvious their trying a little harder, but do songs like "Speed Of Sound", and "Fix You" make it sound like they've made much progress?
  96. Kenny
    Sep 3, 2005
    This is a huge disapointment. The lyrcis are so crappy and they're all cliches (Every step that you take/Could be yourbiggest mistake/It could bend or it could break/ But that's the risk that you take). Pure crap! And the transition into a more electronic style is pathetic (prob trying to be compared again with Radiohead). They should stick with they're old stuff.
  97. EmilyM.
    Aug 29, 2005
    I agree with Bob S. The lead singer sounds like someone just kicked him in the nuts. His voice is like nails on a chalk board and Coldplay's lyrics are cheesey and some just don't make any sense! Hopefully, coldplay will die out.
  98. FrancoD
    Aug 28, 2005
    X&y is a cd very intersting, i recommend... ...the best Coldplay's cd... ...my song favorite is Fix You!! ...please Coldplay come to Argentina!!!
  99. MarcoD
    Aug 28, 2005
    The Best Disc Of The World 2005!!!!.... for me...
  100. thewaterboys
    Aug 27, 2005
    this album takes work to enjoy. i didn't like it on first listen but it kind of snakes around in your head and you keep listening to it. there are some absolutely brilliant songs on here like 'fix you' and 'a message'. my favorite track...right now...is 'white shadows', although i seem to find a new favorite song every few days. My biggest complaint this album takes work to enjoy. i didn't like it on first listen but it kind of snakes around in your head and you keep listening to it. there are some absolutely brilliant songs on here like 'fix you' and 'a message'. my favorite track...right now...is 'white shadows', although i seem to find a new favorite song every few days. My biggest complaint about this album is that i am always thinking this album COULD have been one of the greatest ever and it just fals a bit short. there are too many spots where songs just never build from a nice beginning...they kind of drone away and you forget you are even listening to them. i will say this: after the very first time that i listened to this album, the first thought that popped into my head was that the NEXT Coldplay album will be a instant classic. i still think that and i guess that sums up how i feel about this album. Expand

1. Blender
    [Coldplay] have made their masterpiece. [Jun 2005, p.112]
  2. Confident, bold, ambitious, bunged with singles and impossible to contain, ‘X&Y’ doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it does reinforce Coldplay as the band of their time.
  3. They have chosen to opt for the standard formula: it's elegiac, mid-tempo, stadium-friendly ballads all the way.