8.1

Review this album

1. Mar 1, 2019
    Crushing exposes Julia Jacklin's raw talent, with the lamest composition possible. She told some emotional stories, but she let them pass in the wind so people will eventually forget about it.
  2. Feb 23, 2019
    i'm going to be blunt and say that this album is boring. It's not that Julia Jacklin doesn't have talent, she does, but the material here is mediocre. Half the album is forgettable and the other half (Don't Know How To Keep Loving You, Body, Pressure To Party, to name the few), you will forget in 3 months. While her writing is honest and introvertedly expressive - which is all fine andi'm going to be blunt and say that this album is boring. It's not that Julia Jacklin doesn't have talent, she does, but the material here is mediocre. Half the album is forgettable and the other half (Don't Know How To Keep Loving You, Body, Pressure To Party, to name the few), you will forget in 3 months. While her writing is honest and introvertedly expressive - which is all fine and well - there is nothing in the music to want to make me listen a second time. No doubt there are those few that will relate to this album but I suspect for the vast majority, this album isn't a compelling enough reason for them to want to give it a try. Expand
  3. Feb 24, 2019
    This album is so goddamn good it's not really fair. "Don't Know How To Keep Loving You" will be in my head well past the three month mark.
  4. May 27, 2020
    On my first listen I was leaning towards thinking this sounded a bit too like Angel Olsen's early stuff. After a few more spins I realised I was being unfair to this record. Of course there are similarities with other indie folk singers but reference points have a limited use when it comes to enjoyment of the music. Jacklin nails the downbeat lyrics/upbeat melody trick and generally whenOn my first listen I was leaning towards thinking this sounded a bit too like Angel Olsen's early stuff. After a few more spins I realised I was being unfair to this record. Of course there are similarities with other indie folk singers but reference points have a limited use when it comes to enjoyment of the music. Jacklin nails the downbeat lyrics/upbeat melody trick and generally when she goes for it. Lyrically, it is captivating but easy to miss these as well. The highlights are excellent. Expand
  5. Jul 23, 2020
    Stunning album. "Don't Know How To Keep Loving You", "Body" and "Comfort" are superb songs.

Universal acclaim - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 19, 2019
    She provokes an emotional groundswell in the quietest of moods, one acoustic song at a time. But the knotty, country rock groove of both Head Alone and You Were Right show that she can also shake off those doldrums. Maybe not as much as we’d like, but as she repeatedly denotes in Crushing, healing is an everyday process.
    One of the most relatable, heartbreakingly specific albums of the year.
  3. Mar 8, 2019
    These songs are stamped full of her personality and they mark a major evolution as a songwriter. As the final chords of the heartrending Comfort ring out, it’s impossible not to think that yet another major Antipodean talent has put a new marker down.