• Record Label: Epic
  • Release Date: Apr 17, 2020
8.6

Review this album

1. Apr 17, 2020
    This is such a huge statement as an album. The lyrics are brilliant, incredible instrumental, incredible production, incredible everything. It feels almost like a new statement for music in general, it got too much going on and everything just works incredibly well, nothing like it. It feels like a huge fresh air of a completely original, innovative and refined masterpiece.
  2. Apr 17, 2020
    Meh. It's good if you're already a fan of Fiona Apple. Unlikely to convince you if you're not.
  3. May 18, 2020
    Not nearly as good as I expected. A seriously overhyped record that's sometimes great, sometimes alright, but most of the time it's just meh. And, to be completely fair - Fiona's folky vocals over pots-and-pans instrumentation sounds refreshing in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work, at least for me. Another example of an album that suffers from the hype it's surrounded by.
  4. May 16, 2020
    Horrible sounds, all **** don't know why this album gets a 100, don't make sense
  5. May 2, 2020
    I have enjoyed the early releases by Fiona Apple but this release did nothing for me. No emotional connection, no earworms, no groove to nod my head to. I just didn't grab my ears.
  6. Apr 26, 2020
    Tremendamente sobrevalorado, original si, pero inaudible y pretencioso. No entiendo las críticas aquí recibidas.
  7. May 6, 2020
    Fiona Apple at her most subdued. I love the way she honed her craft on that album. With this lush, smooth, highly melodic, warm and jazz-tinged collection of songs, she channels her inner Joni Mitchell as this album is deeply rooted in the '70s Laurel Canyon folk tradition. Ladies is obviously an homage to Ladies of the Canyon. This album will not only appeal to her fans. Fans of Joni,Fiona Apple at her most subdued. I love the way she honed her craft on that album. With this lush, smooth, highly melodic, warm and jazz-tinged collection of songs, she channels her inner Joni Mitchell as this album is deeply rooted in the '70s Laurel Canyon folk tradition. Ladies is obviously an homage to Ladies of the Canyon. This album will not only appeal to her fans. Fans of Joni, Carole King, Laura Nyro, Juddee Still and other great singer-songwriters will find plenty to enjoy here. Probably not the best album of the year but a worthy comeback nonetheless. Expand
  8. May 1, 2020
    How on this earth does this rate a 10? Absolutely horrible album. Sounds like someone strangling a goat. Theres got to be at least one song to grab you and keep you interested till you catch up with the rest. Anyone who rates this higher than a 3 is a hipster! The uglier something is the more they like it. Well at least till lots of people start liking it and than its not to the nextHow on this earth does this rate a 10? Absolutely horrible album. Sounds like someone strangling a goat. Theres got to be at least one song to grab you and keep you interested till you catch up with the rest. Anyone who rates this higher than a 3 is a hipster! The uglier something is the more they like it. Well at least till lots of people start liking it and than its not to the next terrible album. You lot need to get your ears and head checked. Even the cover and title are horrible. I'm giving it a 1 because I can understand some of the words at least. Expand
  9. N1A
    May 3, 2020
    Lyrics! Lyrics are good, for sure. But it all sounds messy and faded. I'm obsessed with non-Pop music (Florence+Machine, the 1975, FKA Twigs and other), but this stuff left me unsatisfied and disappointed. The best music album ever by Metacritic score, but it's not looked and sound like that. Want through album once I realized that this is kind of experience I will never want to have again.
  10. Apr 28, 2020
    Fiona is dripping with talent no doubt. No doubt. I personally do not like this music. Feels closer to hip hop than alt rock. Mostly fast spoken words and not singing. Lots of percussions but they sound like fake, computer instruments. Nothing I could find sweeps me away. No amazing piano or guitar solo. No sweeping vocals. Not my kind of music at all. Is it good? If you like hip hop youFiona is dripping with talent no doubt. No doubt. I personally do not like this music. Feels closer to hip hop than alt rock. Mostly fast spoken words and not singing. Lots of percussions but they sound like fake, computer instruments. Nothing I could find sweeps me away. No amazing piano or guitar solo. No sweeping vocals. Not my kind of music at all. Is it good? If you like hip hop you may like it. If you are huge fan of Pro Tools you may like it. I don't. Not my thing. Maybe she just had too much coffee? Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2020
    Not her best work, honestly blown away by all the praise it’s getting. This maybe would’ve been a great album if it had come out in the 90’s, Idler Wheel was much more interesting sonically and still sounds more modern. The only thing that appeals to me as a producer is the gritty, textured percussion. I get that the lyrics are meant to be more relatable to women but still disappointing toNot her best work, honestly blown away by all the praise it’s getting. This maybe would’ve been a great album if it had come out in the 90’s, Idler Wheel was much more interesting sonically and still sounds more modern. The only thing that appeals to me as a producer is the gritty, textured percussion. I get that the lyrics are meant to be more relatable to women but still disappointing to a fan looking forward to hearing innovative compositions rather than a bunch of raggedy piano jams with quirky vocal delivery. Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2020
    After seeing all the praise being given to this album I decided to give it a try and after 3 listens through I feel like I'm missing something. It's like i'm listening to a completely different record than everyone else. There are a handful of solid tracks like I Want You To Love Me (aside from the grating vocals to close the song), Rack of His, Ladies, and Cosmonauts. The problem withAfter seeing all the praise being given to this album I decided to give it a try and after 3 listens through I feel like I'm missing something. It's like i'm listening to a completely different record than everyone else. There are a handful of solid tracks like I Want You To Love Me (aside from the grating vocals to close the song), Rack of His, Ladies, and Cosmonauts. The problem with making music in the kind of head space she seems to be in is that you toe the line between brilliance and pretentious drivel. Personally, I feel like the album wandered into the latter too many times for me to enjoy (Relay and Newspaper stand out in particular). It's hard for me to become immersed in an album if I'm rolling my eyes or shaking my head during half of the run time. If there were more memorable melodies to match the dissonance then I could see myself enjoying it more but there's just not much to grab onto for me. None of this is to say that I don't respect her ability as a musician or her talent for creating an atmosphere. It's just not an atmosphere that I want to be in regularly. Expand
  13. Apr 28, 2020
    Here it is - the most overrated album of all time. The ultimate definition of musical mediocrity that can be sold because talentless journalists said it`s good.
  14. Apr 28, 2020
    Tremendo flop sobrevalorado por sus 3 fans, ya ni melosentada tuvo tanta sobrevaloración
  15. May 9, 2020
    Tried for the third and final time to listen to this acclaimed "masterpiece." Absolute tuneless drivel without an ounce of melody. So many hipsters have to prove they're cool by praising garbage like this. It's fine to like what you like, but no one will convince me this is great music. Joni Mitchell did this style of music one million times better 50 years ago. Those praising this albumTried for the third and final time to listen to this acclaimed "masterpiece." Absolute tuneless drivel without an ounce of melody. So many hipsters have to prove they're cool by praising garbage like this. It's fine to like what you like, but no one will convince me this is great music. Joni Mitchell did this style of music one million times better 50 years ago. Those praising this album are the same group who insist Radiohead were better after OK Computer, when we all know that's simply not true. Expand
  16. May 20, 2020
    well it's always refreshing seeing or hearing someone acting and talking like a kid, when the person's actually around 40yo. isn't it? duh.
    unfortunately the ineptitude of behaving won't take the wrinkles away.
    sorry.
  17. Apr 18, 2020
    Please don't make this album overrated. Really even hasn't one memorable song. I like Fiona Apple but this isn't a great album and I didn't enjoy the album very much.
  18. Apr 17, 2020
    This is easily the best album of the year, I don’t know what could possibly top it
  19. May 4, 2020
    This woman is stealing a living. The music is so incredibly bland, she is trying way too hard to be different and there is literally nothing that can possibly draw anyone to her music. It doesn't evoke emotion, it doesn't give you goosebumps... it's entirely mediocre and the album so far receiving 100/100 is proof that equally poor journalists and reviewers that cater to the mass and chartThis woman is stealing a living. The music is so incredibly bland, she is trying way too hard to be different and there is literally nothing that can possibly draw anyone to her music. It doesn't evoke emotion, it doesn't give you goosebumps... it's entirely mediocre and the album so far receiving 100/100 is proof that equally poor journalists and reviewers that cater to the mass and chart lovers can sell trite like this. Now all the users suddenly believe it's an amazing album because magazines and websites say so. Ugh. Expand
  20. Apr 28, 2020
    I thought it would be fun to go through some of the more asinine and truly senseless "reviews", [ https://bit.ly/3f1giEK ] since there really are so many that display what makes this album one of the strongest of the year so far.
  21. Apr 17, 2020
    This is certainly Fiona Apple's most affordable album since her cheeky debut. But it's not for it's melodic side (it's difficult to retain melodies), but for it's very new and impossible "delivery". A sigh is passed. As an expression of this paradoxical field of conversion and musical composition, the album is a masterpiece. In it, you can practically feel the creative and emotionalThis is certainly Fiona Apple's most affordable album since her cheeky debut. But it's not for it's melodic side (it's difficult to retain melodies), but for it's very new and impossible "delivery". A sigh is passed. As an expression of this paradoxical field of conversion and musical composition, the album is a masterpiece. In it, you can practically feel the creative and emotional process as it is loaded with relentless and overwhelming revisionism; of a disturbing mix between memory and the present. Expand
  22. May 1, 2020
    FTBC is a radical reaction to all that is fake: autotune, glossy Instagram lives, unauthentic lyrics. This album has none of that. Fiona gives us a zero-bs approach to music, taking things even further than what she had done with "The Idler Wheel...". A raw, gritty masterpiece that is not only unafraid of its flaws, but builds on them, rises above them.
  23. May 8, 2020
    A bad bad album. Can't dance to it. Can't nod your head to the rhythm. Dogs barking through random beats does not make a good song. The only time this music could ever be played is in front of an abstract improv. Even then, people would be waiting for it to be over. Someone had to pay off the critics for their reviews or they aren't real people.
  24. Apr 17, 2020
    Fetch The Bolt Cutters is a masterpiece. No one can express feelings and emotions like Fiona Apple. One of the greatest songwriters of our generation. Absolutely outstanding!!
  25. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona Apple finally made an album that is "the sound of somebody who has broken out a little bit. Who’s breaking the windows and the doors in order to get some air. Instead of the person who’s just walking into their own fog of their own perfume, smelling the same thing over and over again." The growth from her more iconic and relatable songs into a specific, personal piece makes me smileFiona Apple finally made an album that is "the sound of somebody who has broken out a little bit. Who’s breaking the windows and the doors in order to get some air. Instead of the person who’s just walking into their own fog of their own perfume, smelling the same thing over and over again." The growth from her more iconic and relatable songs into a specific, personal piece makes me smile during every song, no matter how rough the topic. I understand the movement from The Idler Wheel... to this, and the 8 years of growth explain the creativity and change embodied in this album. AND it shreds. Miss Apple I love your dolphin noises. Expand
  26. Apr 17, 2020
    Such a thrilling evolution of The Idler Wheel's sounds with a pen as sharp as ever and a constantly charming sense of playful inventiveness. I don't think I can quite pin down how exactly I feel about this. Wow.
  27. Apr 17, 2020
    The eight-year wait was absolutely worth it - Fiona's brilliant songwriting shines through on every single track on the album. It's so far removed from what conventional 'music' in 2020 sounds - her music and lyrics demand attention, and are so uniquely hers. By far the best album of the decade thus far.
  28. Apr 17, 2020
    It was amazing and breathtaking. Everybody moved!!!! Everybody said something!!!!!!
  29. Apr 17, 2020
    Wow this album... It's do different yet exactly something you'd expect from Fiona. The charm that the self produced sounds creates, all the goofy gimmicks, the funky and experimental drum and bass, the repetitions of lines and the story telling lyrics. I'm in love with everything
  30. Apr 17, 2020
    Fantastic album. Really potent lyrics combined with unique and interesting instrumentals that make it one her best works. Every song hits, and has something to say.
  31. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona unbound, wild, and let loose. And she is here to save us. Bow down. Thank you Fiona.
  32. Apr 17, 2020
    Excelente, Fiona siempre ha hecho de su vida arte y este no fue la excepción
  33. Apr 17, 2020
    I have been a fan for years but frankly, this album is one of the best I have ever head. An absolute gem of an album by one of the greatest songwriters still living.
  34. Apr 17, 2020
    I guess we have the best album of 20-s already in the beginning of decade, just mesmerizing
  35. Apr 23, 2020
    Because so many reviewers have called out all the strengths of this release, I thought it would be fun to go through some of the more asinine and truly senseless "reviews", since there really are so many that display what makes this album one of the strongest of the year so far--

The majority of "0-1" scores are accounts who signed up solely to give this album that obscenely low rating for someone who sings without autotune and masterfully plays their own instrumentation. At the very least, that calls for a 3 if using sound judgement.

Putsman - Rating: 1 (no other reviews) - "Doesn’t sound like anything I’d want to listen to again after one go." So you willfully admit to listening to it once (and 95% sure you skimmed). Nice. Thanks for typing that out.

ravenvenom - Rating: 1 - "Original, that’s for sure." "Don’t mistake originality for genius." Originality gets a 1, that makes sense, totally. But dont worry, they gave the past three Madonna releases all 10's. So they definitely have an understanding of both originality and "genius."

JesseBarre - Rating: 0 - "feminist anthems that act as if women who willingly utilize their sexuality to get ahead & become plutocrats in Beverly Hills who have the ability to destroy any man they wants lives with a single tweet." This drama queen sounds like he had a bad relationship once. But Jesse gives Big Sean a 10 due to "quirky wordplay." k!

liscarta - Rating: 0 (no other reviews) - "It sounds like a podcast." Can you recommend some to me? Those sound dope.
  36. Apr 17, 2020
    this is literally perfect. one for the ages. it's such a total testament to fiona apple's qualities as a songwriter, as a performer, and a s a genuinely brilliant writer. you feel every single second of this.
  37. Apr 17, 2020
    A completely perfect album. Somehow improves upon the perfection of her past four. A stunning collection of feminist lyrics, production that’s experimental yet accessible + warm, and raw, unedited vocals.
  38. Apr 17, 2020
    A true masterpiece, no less. Probably we're witnessing a new music genre being born.
  39. Apr 20, 2020
    Not sure how to properly describe the magic touch of this album - it’s not always the easiest listen in some parts, but there’s a magnetism about it, a hypnotic element that draws you back in. Along with its sheer ambition and the emotions that underly it, the album impresses with the richness of its sounds - Broadway-esque piano riffs; soulful choruses; folksy drumbeats; a poetic, jazzyNot sure how to properly describe the magic touch of this album - it’s not always the easiest listen in some parts, but there’s a magnetism about it, a hypnotic element that draws you back in. Along with its sheer ambition and the emotions that underly it, the album impresses with the richness of its sounds - Broadway-esque piano riffs; soulful choruses; folksy drumbeats; a poetic, jazzy coffeehouse aura; notes of Bjork’s softer cuts and Stevie Nick’s powerhouse raspiness. Standouts include the title track, Newspaper, Ladies, and Heavy Balloon. Expand
  40. Apr 17, 2020
    What a **** great start for a new decade of music!! Fetch the Bolt Cutters was indeed worth the wait!!
  41. Apr 17, 2020
    fetch the bolt cutters fetch the bolt cutters fetch the bolt cutters fetch the bolt cutters fetch the bolt cutters
  42. Apr 17, 2020
    I can't even remember the last openin track that sounds too good as "I want you to love me", she shares with us the perfection of trying to be non perfect in a track. In the second one, she came with a type of progressive rock/alternative beat, that came inside my brain like an storm, the next, I doen't need to tell but i wanna... perfection
  43. Apr 17, 2020
    An amazing piece of art. The production here is what sets this album apart from her others, she really shines in her home studio, you can tell how comfortable she is singing these fierce, unabashed lyrics, using her voice as her strongest instrument. This album is so unique, authentic, and powerful. 10/10
  44. Apr 21, 2020
    An artist unleashed. It's Fiona Apple, we can't expect anything less. Unconventional and raw. Art at its finest.
  45. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona has mastered her abilities in this album, you can feel how she put together ideas from her previous works and put them together with even more feeling and compromise, being involved in the production of this album makes it so personal. She has a statement and she's not afraid to shout it out loud for everyone to hear it, she literally fetch the colt butters and use them to fightFiona has mastered her abilities in this album, you can feel how she put together ideas from her previous works and put them together with even more feeling and compromise, being involved in the production of this album makes it so personal. She has a statement and she's not afraid to shout it out loud for everyone to hear it, she literally fetch the colt butters and use them to fight against the patriarchy. A lot of palpable influence from another great artists like Kate bush and Patty Smith. Such a masterpiece. Expand
  46. Apr 17, 2020
    It's is exactly what I was expecting from her.
    Reminds me of The Idler Wheel
  47. Apr 21, 2020
    Obviously it's just my opinion, but really, music shouldn't be this much hard work to listen to. Some melody here or there and a few less discordant notes wouldn't go astray.
  48. Apr 17, 2020
    A masterpiece of surreal feminism. Chaotic, eruptive, brash, indicting, and wholly self reliant. It feels like watching a great master paint violently into the night, unaware that she is being watched. And Apple is standing alone, as these songs dip and dive, collapse and then rise again along a tripwire of purrs, barks, moans, screeches, clanks and coos. It’s like nothing I’ve ever heardA masterpiece of surreal feminism. Chaotic, eruptive, brash, indicting, and wholly self reliant. It feels like watching a great master paint violently into the night, unaware that she is being watched. And Apple is standing alone, as these songs dip and dive, collapse and then rise again along a tripwire of purrs, barks, moans, screeches, clanks and coos. It’s like nothing I’ve ever heard before and yet she retains structure, technique and melody effortlessly. This is her fifth album in a row of extraordinary work. I’m inspired to work harder as a artist, and I will listen to this as I paint in my own studio. Thank you, again, FA.....simply brilliant work. Expand
  49. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona makes music that exposes truth, pretty or ugly. Every moment of this record hits heartstrings just as hard as its drums hits on each quaking beat. The lyricism is just as personal as her raw, riveting voice, so compelling it could contend with the greatest of poets. I've given this album a few listens and it has already cemented itself in my mind as one of the greatest albums of thisFiona makes music that exposes truth, pretty or ugly. Every moment of this record hits heartstrings just as hard as its drums hits on each quaking beat. The lyricism is just as personal as her raw, riveting voice, so compelling it could contend with the greatest of poets. I've given this album a few listens and it has already cemented itself in my mind as one of the greatest albums of this century. Expand
  50. May 16, 2020
    Сотка от критиков сделала своё дело. Никакого эмэйзинга и пёрфекта ту би хёрд у альбома нет. Альбом можно назвать странным и через чур желающим показаться особенным. Однако переборщили с необычностью и состряпали чёртову дюжину без какой-либо динамики. Очень похоже на соло ковыряние в пресетах Фрути Лупса и расстановку в хаотичном порядке (!) кирпичиков в пиано ролле. Музыка подойдёт дляСотка от критиков сделала своё дело. Никакого эмэйзинга и пёрфекта ту би хёрд у альбома нет. Альбом можно назвать странным и через чур желающим показаться особенным. Однако переборщили с необычностью и состряпали чёртову дюжину без какой-либо динамики. Очень похоже на соло ковыряние в пресетах Фрути Лупса и расстановку в хаотичном порядке (!) кирпичиков в пиано ролле. Музыка подойдёт для сериальных перебивок с громкостью на 30% и записи в титры, которые никто не смотрит. После Тяжёлого Воздушного Шара все песни подлежат перемотке. Интерес к альбому вызвала только сотка от обожравшихся белены критиков. Expand
  51. Apr 19, 2020
    Easiest 10 I ever gave. An thrilling album that never lets go. It’s the only album I have heard in the last 20 years than I could say dethrones my all time favorite album ever. Sublime.
  52. Apr 19, 2020
    I did not know this girl but listen to her music and in sound it is an art, I can call that what is truly music, good work girl the album of the year so far
  53. Apr 18, 2020
    Yes, she did that! A masterpiece, amazing work, perfectly imperfect, instant classic
  54. Apr 18, 2020
    Brilliant. Raw, powerful, honest, magic. Listening these sweet bitter symphonies non-stop.
  55. Apr 19, 2020
    album is just Brilliant instant classic, best album of 2020 by far!!! would love to here more songs on a deluxe version.
  56. Apr 19, 2020
    I was captivated by the first song, fetch the bolt cutters sounds like the most beautiful cry for freedom, it’s been 8 years and Fiona Apple is free once again.
  57. Apr 19, 2020
    Amazing! A true artist and just what we needed during this difficult time. Bravo!
  58. Apr 20, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Incredible from the jump, with “I want you to love me,” she sings, “I know none of this will matter in the long run / But I know a sound is still a sound around no one.” And the album never falters. It’s strong, unique, introspective and cathartic all the way through. Expand
  59. Apr 17, 2020
    Musically this album is a stunning, unsettling tour-de-force. If you're willing to be challenged, and to truly immerse yourself, you will be rewarded. It is not background music; it demands more and deserves it.
  60. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona never disappoints, this album is a **** masterpiece, raw, beautiful, unique and experimental like everything she does. 10/10 stream fetch the bolt cutters!!!!
  61. Apr 17, 2020
    my mom gave me life but Fiona Apple gave me a reason to live with this album.

my mom gave me life but Fiona Apple gave me a reason to live with this album.

Fiona Apple's fifth record is unbound, a wild style symphony of the everyday, an unyielding masterpiece. I don't really know how to articulate what this woman means to me, nor what she makes me feel but I'm so happy rn that she's back and with an album this great that's being rightfully appreciated and been received with such critical acclaim –which I know she almost certainly doesn't give a sh*t about– but it only feels right that this is happening to her. To her specifically because she's always said F*CK YOU' to the puppetry and whoring expected of women in music; she's an alchemist making music and living life without the accoutrements people believe define stardom. After years of praying, my god has finally provided me and she's never once let down. I don't know how she does it but she's a mad genius, she pushed her own boundaries while maintaining the Fiona Apple signature sound we fell in love with. This is both timely and timeless. The bolt cutters have been fetched.
  62. Apr 17, 2020
    It's raw, it's unique, it's powerful, it's everything Fiona always was, but elevated, matured, refined. The lyrics are very particular to her experience and at the same time extremely universal. It's an album that demands attention. It's not easy, but it's necessary and it feels GOOD!
  63. Apr 17, 2020
    The best songwriter just made an amazing percussion-heavy, raw masterpiece. 8 years waiting and it was worth it.
  64. Apr 17, 2020
    Simply AMAZING! She's got so much to say and no one says it quite like she does. The music, lyrics and her voice are a perfect marriage of her brilliant art!
  65. Apr 17, 2020
    Easily her best album and easily the best thing to come out of this quarantine. This is heavy on the percussive elements, which serves as a nice base for a cohesive sound despite having a multitudinous appeal to varied genres. It's an interesting formula that just works. I think this is also the best Apple's voice has sounded, and the lyrics are consistent with the quality we expectEasily her best album and easily the best thing to come out of this quarantine. This is heavy on the percussive elements, which serves as a nice base for a cohesive sound despite having a multitudinous appeal to varied genres. It's an interesting formula that just works. I think this is also the best Apple's voice has sounded, and the lyrics are consistent with the quality we expect from her as a songwriter. Wowed with this one. Expand
  66. Apr 27, 2020
    Edit:
    It's funny, all the "most helpful" reviews are the one where someone gushed for a few lines, probably paraphrased some things they read in the Pitchfork review, and threw up a 10. And yes, these were apparently very helpful to all the other sheep that wanted to jump on the bandwagon, wrote "Brilliant!" and put up another meaningless 10. Ba-aa-aa-ah!
    Edit: Okay, I’ve listened a

Edit:
    Okay, I’ve listened a more and am even more convinced this album is nowhere close to the 10 that all you gushing automatons keep heaping on it. Insightful, bold, creative lyrically, yes. But musically uninteresting. And this is a musical album, right? Not poetry? So what’s with all the 10’s?

Let’s look at a couple tracks, shall we? I Want You To Love Me: Some pretty piano flourishes behind meandering, structure-less verses followed by a chorus that’s three words and two notes. “Yooooooooooooooou love me.” What is interesting, enjoyable, or creative about that? And the title track: Some of what sounds like rapping on things in your kitchen, then some more of the structure less, meandering verses followed by an extremely simple, energy-less, musically blah chorus, “Fetch the bolt cutters, I’ve been in here too long.” And repeat. Finish with some dogs barking. OMG, the genius! Album of the year! Seriously, WTF?

Sure, put this up for some poetry or literary awards. Hold her up as a feminist icon, role model. Sure, I’m with you. But musician of the year, heck no. And the sad thing is Fiona doesn’t have to choose between lyrically amazing and musically gorgeous. She has at least three other albums that are both. It’s why I’m a big fan. But apparently that’s over now. Lowering my rating to 4.

Original review:
    I’m a huge Fiona Apple fan. For me, this album doesn’t compare to her first three. It’s not nearly as accessible or musically affecting. And granted I’ve only listened a handful of times, but I don’t think it ever will be. Sadly, as is often the case, all the unconventional-ness and artistic bells and whistles the critics gush over are the very things that make it a ho-hum listen for me. Don’t get me wrong, I hear all the creativity, emotion, honesty, etc. that went into it and respect her for it. But that’s not the same thing as that indescribable, goose bump-causing feeling I get from music I love. And when an album like this is regarded so highly by critics I have to wonder what it is they’re reviewing. Is it music as music, or music as an overall piece of art? I can’t help but think it’s the later and whether it’s actually enjoyable is an afterthought. Or even a detriment. (Kinda like how having a “happy” or satisfying ending seems to make movie critics drop a star, as if being enjoyable to the average viewer is a bad thing.) To give critics the benefit of the doubt, maybe when you get to a certain professional level of music appreciation, being artistically bold and musically affecting become the same thing. But it’s definitely not for me and there’s nothing wrong with that. On the contrary. I think critics should give more consideration to who they’re writing their reviews for. Themselves?

Probably the most artistically bold and creative of Fiona’s albums. But for me (and I’m guessing a lot of people, if they’re honest), the least enjoyable listen. 10 out of 10 for performance art. 6 out of 10 for an album of music.

A side note: How it possible for the Metacritic score to be 100 out of 100 if almost half of the publications MC claims to consider give it a less than perfect score? Either their math is really bad or about six publications are completely thrown out. In which case, isn’t listing them dishonest?
  67. Apr 17, 2020
    A masterpiece. Fiona Apple continues to be singular. The timing of this release is perfect- as we are all pacing in our homes being slowly swallowed by the stillness of the world. Fiona gives us a way to cope and to punch our way out. What a time to be alive.
  68. Apr 17, 2020
    While I've never heard anything quite like it, it does feel perfectly timed for this moment. Other unsettled souls, in these unsettled times, can find comfort in its unpredictable and sometimes wacky drive and pulse because it all ultimately adds up to something that fills a hole that maybe we didn't know was there until now. It feels like a signpost on the human condition in 2020. We'reWhile I've never heard anything quite like it, it does feel perfectly timed for this moment. Other unsettled souls, in these unsettled times, can find comfort in its unpredictable and sometimes wacky drive and pulse because it all ultimately adds up to something that fills a hole that maybe we didn't know was there until now. It feels like a signpost on the human condition in 2020. We're still here. 10/10. Expand
  69. Apr 17, 2020
    I'd like to think i have pretty diverse taste. One constant over the past 25 years from age 10 to present day has been to various works of Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails). While other brilliant artists have a streak of quality albums over this quarter century, the only artist I can think of that has created such bold evolutions to their style is Fiona Apple. Tidal really impressed me in aI'd like to think i have pretty diverse taste. One constant over the past 25 years from age 10 to present day has been to various works of Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails). While other brilliant artists have a streak of quality albums over this quarter century, the only artist I can think of that has created such bold evolutions to their style is Fiona Apple. Tidal really impressed me in a way that no other singer-songwriter had at the age of 12. Only a few trip hop albums were even in the same universe. FINLLLY 1999 came around and I partied like all 16 year old children shouldn't. My favorite artists brought my favorite albums; The Fragile and When The Pawn.... The Fragile remains. I write this after three listens but friggin (#*WUR(@# this is so good. I am not biased on this genius. Extraordinary Machine was great, Idler Wheel was greater. It's already pretty clear that Fetch The Bolt Cutters is Fiona at her absolute best. The syncopation and sudden shifts of pace shouldn't feel like anything new to fans of her past work. I'd have to agree with a reviewer from earlier this evening that this is the best album of the decade so far; and one of the very best of the past 10.46 years as well. So damn amazing. Expand
  70. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona is proving, onde again, that she is the greatest songwriter os the past 25 years.
  71. Apr 17, 2020
    8 years allowed for a wonderful experimentation to become refined and purposeful.
  72. Apr 17, 2020
    She never disappoints, she is the clear reference to say "good thingz always takes time to come out", excellent lyrics and perfect sounds, please Fiona sit on my face
  73. Apr 17, 2020
    We only had to wait 8 years but it was worth every single second. I don't know how but she exceeds expectations with the bar set at nothing less than Extraordinary.
  74. Apr 17, 2020
    I knew she was gonna deliver a brilliant album but I never imagined it'd be this career topping masterpiece that is FETCH THE BOLT CUTTERS. Love you like crazy, Fiona. Always a pleasure being able to witness such extraordinary talent!
  75. Apr 23, 2020
    there are some interesting songs but overall its a pretentious and indulgent noise collage for militant cultists.
    i would give it a higher rating if all these sycophants werent dropping casual 10s
  76. Apr 17, 2020
    Fantastic album. Experimental, wild, outspoken, and feisty. I'm in love. If she's gonna keep making music this good, I'm okay with waiting 8 years for new music.
  77. Apr 19, 2020
    This is such a great album, an instant classic. Great production, great lyrics, and great performance from Fiona on the whole record, just excellence. The production and her voice can go from sweet to insane in a heartbeat and the things she's talking about here shes doing it with such soul and in such a theatrically way that it feels like you listening to a play with amazing performances.
  78. Apr 18, 2020
    Oh my.. this is the one i didn't know i was waiting for!! Never heard of Fiona Apple before but after hearing this absolute masterpiece i have become a fan instantly. Already easily one of the best albums of the year!
  79. Apr 19, 2020
    Extremely well executed ideas, every song is meaningful and has intent. Visceral, unguarded emotion, intricate lyrics and production. Another masterpiece in Fiona Apple’s catalog, possibly even her best project. Well worth all the overwhelmingly cordial praise.
  80. Apr 18, 2020
    Epic and beautiful album, it's maybe her best. The way she use her voice like an instrument it's really incredible and the melodies are really catchy but at the same time very experimental. The lyrics are the best, the way she takes ur hands and shows u sorority and love for her pets, it's to far for me a escape from the violent world when we live.
  81. Apr 18, 2020
    Queen is what you can call her. This woman keeps on bring in it to the table.
  82. Apr 18, 2020
    One of the best lyricists in the game at her most sonically adventurous (and that’s an understatement). An earlier review argues that Fetch the Bolt Cutters lacks ‘any consistent melodies, hooks or instrumental convergences’. Give it more time. They’ll start finding you after the second or third listen - you need to let this one decant and open up - and before you know it, you’ll findOne of the best lyricists in the game at her most sonically adventurous (and that’s an understatement). An earlier review argues that Fetch the Bolt Cutters lacks ‘any consistent melodies, hooks or instrumental convergences’. Give it more time. They’ll start finding you after the second or third listen - you need to let this one decant and open up - and before you know it, you’ll find yourself singing on of the mantra-like phrasings throughout the album. The songs may sound unfinished or rough to an unfamiliar ear, but Apple has dressed them in the clippings of life, like old standards chanted around a campfire. It’s as present and evocative as anything I’ve heard in a long time. And the words, my god. She’s clearly been an insightful observer of humans and their eternal BS since childhood. Rarely do you find a musical genius who can also write such snappy damn lines. 10/10. Expand
  83. Apr 19, 2020
    Brilliant album. After 8 years, certainly didn't disappoint. Amazing writing, production-- a quiet intensity that lasts throughout.
  84. Apr 21, 2020
    This album has an abundance of things to appreciate: experimental/raw sounds, methodical editing choices, a mix of narrative perspectives and thick, layered lyricism. If "Idler Wheel..." was a foray into challenging the status quo of popular music then "Fetch The Bolt Cutters" is the flagship of an all-out war on radio-friendly music. It is clear that every beat of this album is carefullyThis album has an abundance of things to appreciate: experimental/raw sounds, methodical editing choices, a mix of narrative perspectives and thick, layered lyricism. If "Idler Wheel..." was a foray into challenging the status quo of popular music then "Fetch The Bolt Cutters" is the flagship of an all-out war on radio-friendly music. It is clear that every beat of this album is carefully crafted and yet the recordings and instrumental choices feel raw and improvised in parts. Rather than sanitize every track for radio Fiona chose to leverage every imperfection for effect. A lot of people are upset about the "lack of melodies" but I suspect they are just expecting an album that is immediately accessible and stuffed with mindless tracks with the same 2-3 tired chord progressions that have been dragging pop music along like an expired pet caught in a wheel well for the past 20-30 years. "Fetch the Bolt Cutters" is not necessarily an album that grabs you on the first listen because it can be very chaotic and disarming. That being said it's not an album that tricks you into accepting it with repeated listens by way of Stockholm syndrome—once you have some time to absorb the lyrical content and identify the different layers of sound you can appreciate the album for its merits and not just because the overused "hooks" are worming their way into your brain—there are no cloyingly sweet pop paradigms to choke on here. "Fetch The Bolt Cutters" is unapologetically creative; it has a hand stretched out ready to comfort you but doesn't need your sympathy or care about your criticism either. The weakest tracks on this album are still interesting enough to make most of what's being pumped out by big artists look like embarrassing schlock and that's merit enough for a perfect score from me. Expand
  85. Apr 18, 2020
    Amazing!!! Fiona is giving us everything we are needing!! Her voice is so powerful and her lyrics are so amazing as always.
  86. Apr 19, 2020
    Fetch the bolt cutters is what we needed in music right now and Fiona knows it, so she made a perfect album with cool lyrics and great sounds. It is amazing to listen. You have to. So what do you waiting for.
  87. Apr 18, 2020
    Shameika said she had potential and shameika was damn right, loved the record and love fiona.
  88. Apr 18, 2020
    Talented, Brilliant, Incredible, Amazing, Showstopping, Spectacular, Never The Same, Totally Unique, Completely Not Ever Been Done Before, Unafraid To Reference Or Not Reference, Put It In A Blender, **** On It, Vomit On It, Eat It, Give Birth To It
  89. Apr 19, 2020
    just amazing. right for this time we are going through. strong and sensitive.
  90. May 21, 2020
    incredible. Her Magnum Opus and is clearly showing her talent. Deserves the 100 it got. A legend.
  91. May 19, 2020
    The lyrics, the range in topics, the vocal ability, the beats, the way each song transforms into something new. A brave, cutting, uplifting, absolutely untouchable album.
  92. May 22, 2020
    More than a month after its release, it's known that the statement of the entire project is widely mentioned in the criticism, specially concerning the important issues Fiona addresses (abuse, feminism, etc.). But I would like to point again the bravery she displays with the sonic choices, the rought and raw elements. Anybody who thinks this is not deliberate, or that those features makeMore than a month after its release, it's known that the statement of the entire project is widely mentioned in the criticism, specially concerning the important issues Fiona addresses (abuse, feminism, etc.). But I would like to point again the bravery she displays with the sonic choices, the rought and raw elements. Anybody who thinks this is not deliberate, or that those features make the album sound unfinished, did not grasp the whole. Expand
  93. Apr 21, 2020
    This album sounds like it was made by a 10 year old having a tantrum after being told they can't get Animal Crossing on the Switch!

No seriously, I now know that I am uncool, not down with it and have no idea what constitutes a good album anymore. Which is fine with me as long as I don't have to listen to this again! This album has rave reviews but I have no idea how, it's drivel.

This album has rave reviews but I have no idea how, it's drivel. It's a mash of noises and poor singing, shouting and screeching. If you like that sort of thing which people obviously do then power to you, however I like my music more enjoyable.

My pretentious score for this album is 165 out of 10!
  94. Apr 17, 2020
    People who don't like this album are probably people (and I mean mostly men) who simply don't understand or feel it. As a woman who went through very similar things like she did, this record is utterly heavy, raw, honest and sometimes painful.
    The lyrics are absolutely perfect and so is the delivery. Her voice sounds as good as ever and this is the kind of album that just won't let you go, even after it's over.
  95. Apr 17, 2020
    brilliant, her mind is something else. the album is everything i expected and more
  96. Apr 23, 2020
    This album Is like that glass of water in the middle of a modern art museum. Some pretentious critics praise it and everybody Is following the hype...But still just a glass of water. I bet 1 dollar no one who give It a 10 will listen this mess in a week. Pretentious and boring i give It 1 just for The effort.
  97. Apr 17, 2020
    There is literally nothing wrong with this album. How could you not like this! The singing's unhinged, people hitting stuff, bluesy melodies, changeable instrumentation, tempo shifts...amazing!
  98. Apr 17, 2020
    Fiona ha demostrado evolucionar disco tras disco, año tras año. Definitivamente es una de las mejores letristas que ha dado la música. En este album podemos atestiguar el cómo Fiona utiliza los sentimientos complicados, ansiedad, preocupación y lo vuelca en una bomba de experiencias únicas.
  99. Apr 17, 2020
    One of the best albums of 2020! It’s so emotional and brilliant the way that miss Apple writes her music. QUEEN OF EVERYTHING
  100. Apr 17, 2020
    it's fitting for the first line on the album to be "i've waited many years/every print i left upon the track has led me here". fetch the bolt cutters feels exactly like that: the result of years of building up and digging into yourself. it's fiona apple at her finest and deepest.

Universal acclaim - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. Uncut
    May 22, 2020
    Fetch The Bolt Cutters is mostly the soundtrack of liberation, not recrimination, with Apple's piano keys, battering on the walls and barking dogs as its percussive, beating heart. [Jul 2020, p.27]
  2. Mojo
    May 21, 2020
    Though there isn't a dud in Apple's back-catalogue, she has never sounded quite so liberated and artistically sure-footed as this. [Jul 2020, p.86]
  3. Apr 27, 2020
    It's bold, it's demanding, and it might very well go down as the finest full-length Fiona Apple has ever made.