8.1

Review this album

1. May 10, 2019
    Despite keeping us waiting for six long months since dropping the first single, Jamila Woods' "LEGACY! LEGACY!" is a lush, exquisitely produced Pop record. At it's heart is Woods' unwavering attitude, harmonious vocals, and cutting-edge production all condensed into one effective, cohesive sound. To accompany this sound is a large list of important poets, artists, and activists from theDespite keeping us waiting for six long months since dropping the first single, Jamila Woods' "LEGACY! LEGACY!" is a lush, exquisitely produced Pop record. At it's heart is Woods' unwavering attitude, harmonious vocals, and cutting-edge production all condensed into one effective, cohesive sound. To accompany this sound is a large list of important poets, artists, and activists from the Civil Rights Movement to which this album was inspired by. Undoubtedly a highlight of 2019. Expand
  2. May 16, 2019
    Tons of respect for Woods' lyricism and ambition on this project. However, I'm afraid I didn't find the majority of her melodies or backing tracks very interesting. I also feel like she kept at the same volume and energy level in her delivery throughout the whole album. Perhaps this was on purpose, but I fear that this choice drained a lot of the potential emotion and impact from the finalTons of respect for Woods' lyricism and ambition on this project. However, I'm afraid I didn't find the majority of her melodies or backing tracks very interesting. I also feel like she kept at the same volume and energy level in her delivery throughout the whole album. Perhaps this was on purpose, but I fear that this choice drained a lot of the potential emotion and impact from the final product.
    With some more interesting tracks, catchier melodies, and bolder vocal takes, this could have been a superb album. As it is, it feels to me like a mediocre album dressed up in truly excellent lyrics.
  3. May 15, 2019
    An amazing album from start to finish with a unique sound. This is one of the best neo-soul albums that I've heard in a long time.
  4. May 17, 2019
    I wasn't too familiar with Jamila Woods, but I decided to listen to it, since I'm a fan of R&B, and the only thing I have to say is that the production in this is just great, her voice is beautiful and it is a great project overall.
    Also, that Saba verse was one of my favorite parts on the album. I highly recommend it.
  5. May 15, 2019
    Jamila Woods proves she can sing beautiful hooks and spit the coldest rhymes. Compared to 2016's Heavn, the production on Legacy! is lush and varied. No more minimal beats. I appreciate both sounds but I think Jamila's vocal talent really works better within the more layered production of Legacy! Lyrically the album is dense, each song captures the essence of someone's Legacy. Whether it'sJamila Woods proves she can sing beautiful hooks and spit the coldest rhymes. Compared to 2016's Heavn, the production on Legacy! is lush and varied. No more minimal beats. I appreciate both sounds but I think Jamila's vocal talent really works better within the more layered production of Legacy! Lyrically the album is dense, each song captures the essence of someone's Legacy. Whether it's painters like Basquiat and Frida Kahlo, or musicians like Miles Davis and Muddy Waters. She doesn't stray from heavy, emotional topics. Expand
  6. Xar
    May 17, 2019
    The production and instrumenalitation is great but her voice seems flat to me, also is not a big change from her first album.

1. May 16, 2019
    Afflicted in the end with a touch of offputting sameyness, LEGACY! LEGACY! nonetheless has remarkable staying power and a gracious ambition to in some small way materially improve the world of which it is an image. Aesthetic or not, that's worth something.
  2. May 15, 2019
    Legacy! Legacy! is a fully realized follow-up, sure-footed in its blend of what was, what is and what might be.
  3. May 15, 2019
    With LEGACY! LEGACY!, Jamila Woods positions herself to join the battle, bridging the gap, once and for all, between our unresolved past and the promise that awaits us all on the horizon.