• Record Label: N/A
  • Release Date: Mar 8, 2019
7.5

Review this album

1. Mar 19, 2019
    Psychodrama is a very introspective and personal album by Dave in which he talks about a lot of issues regarding his own mental health, his relationships, his family, his race, abuse relationship poverty and the general state of things in South London.
    His wordplay and lyrics are pretty good and mostly creative. One thing that could be a problem for some people are UK slangs that they might not understand. The beats and atmosphere are pretty chill and pretty basic, you might like that or not so much. One thing that bothers me with this album is Daves' delivery and flow. There is no real variation in how the approaches songs, so if you hear one song, most of the time you heard all the other songs just with different lyrics and another beat. The delivery also hurts the lyrics and general message he is trying to tell because it just feel like it's all on the surface and not really deep.
    All in all, Psychodrama is an alright album but nothing that revolutionary, highlight for me would include the opening track "Psycho" which is maybe the best song on the album, also tracks "Lesley" and "Screwface Capital" but without the unnecessary instrumental at the end.
  2. Mar 24, 2019
    After having heard the thoughtful and introspective lyrics of Dave on his game over EP, i was already a fan. This project could not have cemented that more. insane wordplay, emotionally challenging songs and a voice which commands attention. the only downsides to this album in my eyes are the very basic production, although the piano throughout is amazing (Dave is grade 7) and some of theAfter having heard the thoughtful and introspective lyrics of Dave on his game over EP, i was already a fan. This project could not have cemented that more. insane wordplay, emotionally challenging songs and a voice which commands attention. the only downsides to this album in my eyes are the very basic production, although the piano throughout is amazing (Dave is grade 7) and some of the weaker songs, ie purple heart. Absolutely loved this project, couldn't recommend it enough Expand
  3. Mar 12, 2019
    Incredible album, deep and intelligent lyricism that is worth paying attention to, and clever beats that accentuate the mood that Dave is elegantly creating throughout the album's tight run time. Well worth a listen, or two or three...
  4. Mar 12, 2019
    Honest raps, complex and emotive production, but still effortlessly cool. I rarely get excited about rap these days because it all sounds the same to me, but this will make you stop and pay attention.
  5. Mar 21, 2019
    This is lyrically the best ever UK rap album. Album flows supremely well, wordplay is ingenius on occasion and Dave's flow entices you in to listen. Standout songs for me are Psycho, Streatham and Lesley. Standout line - "I don't need a Me 'n' U like a chef eating at his own restaurant"- so good on so many levels
  6. Mar 31, 2019
    This album is extremely overrated somehow. It's alright, sure, Dave's storytelling and lyricism skills are outstanding at some points on the album, but they also falter on some of the less serious songs. The concept is cool, but it's not executed as convincingly as it could've been. Mostly though, the beats on this album are boring as **** They all use the same piano and it makes songsThis album is extremely overrated somehow. It's alright, sure, Dave's storytelling and lyricism skills are outstanding at some points on the album, but they also falter on some of the less serious songs. The concept is cool, but it's not executed as convincingly as it could've been. Mostly though, the beats on this album are boring as **** They all use the same piano and it makes songs that aren't super lyrical really boring to listen to. Overall this album is not nearly as good as it could've been with a more realized concept and more interesting beats. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2019
    Gonna be pretty concise here, think overall the album is pretty good, with some clear standout songs, e.g. Psycho and Lesley, but needs improvement in some areas. Lyrically, album is solid and the topics he's talking about are relevant and discusses them well. Delivery is fine, but can sometimes sound a bit lethargic. Main let down of the album is the production, far too generic andGonna be pretty concise here, think overall the album is pretty good, with some clear standout songs, e.g. Psycho and Lesley, but needs improvement in some areas. Lyrically, album is solid and the topics he's talking about are relevant and discusses them well. Delivery is fine, but can sometimes sound a bit lethargic. Main let down of the album is the production, far too generic and forgettable, no tracks really stand out with great production. 6 to a 7 out of 10 for me, the fact it's receiving this level of acclaim is absurd, as pretty sure it's only because the topics he references are considered woke by the media, which is very frustrating, good lyrical content has to be backed up by good music, and sadly this album isn't in my opinion. Expand
  8. Mar 20, 2019
    Psychodrama is an absolute must-listen record of the 2010s decade as it deals with Dave's struggles with mental health, strained relationships, domestic abuse, racism, and social inequality. You cannot find such realistic and hard-hitting themes like this in a typical rap album that talks about sex, partying, drugs, money, and gangster life. This is conscious hip-hop at its utter finest.
  9. Apr 2, 2019
    Álbum del año hasta ahora. Uno de los mejores debuts de la historia del rap. Con solo 20 años de edad, Dave ha creado un álbum casi perfecto, conviertiendose posiblemente en el mejor rapero de menos de 25 años de edad.
  10. Mar 21, 2019
    Insanely overrated.

Insanely overrated.

Everyone is praising this album for the lyricism but I find most of it rather self-righteous and preachy, and even-though Dave is fully aware, and in complete control of the direction the album goes in, his words quickly come off as needing the listeners empathy, and I don't ever feel compelled to give it to him. If you don't like the first 4 bars on the album don't bother listening to the rest.

The beats and production as a whole are forgettable and generic. Dave's flow is nice, but it gets really boring after listening for a while, like you're hearing some kind of robot do the same thing over and over again. When Dave sings, he isn't the worst, but it's probably good that he doesn't do it that often.

The best songs are the story-telling "Lesley" (even-though it is a little too long and reaching at times), and the sixth track, "Disaster" which I think has the best production/beat and lyrics of all the tracks here.
  11. Apr 2, 2019
    Good lyrics and alright instrumentals individually but it didn't fit well together for me
  12. Apr 10, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a highly rated album that certainly deserves all the praise it gets. The clever writing left my jaw open at some points when i fully grasped what he was saying. Even this early in the year it is going to be hard to beat this for best album of 2019. Each song flows into the other fairly well and the mix of subjects that Dave touches on are very relevant and topical today. I was especially impressed with the last track 'Drama' in which Dave wraps up everything that he has talked about so far, including capping off his very witty English test scheme as well as stating that 'Lesley' was based off of his relative. The only thing that lets the album down a bit is a few corny lines here and there. Other than that, i can't give a ten as there is always room for improvement. I expect nothing less from Dave a this point as he has more than proved his worth as a rapper and his honest and open introspection is almost unrivaled. Its amazing that he is only 20 and i cannot wait for more from him. Expand
  13. Mar 12, 2019
    This best rap concept album since good kid maad city - Kendrick Lamar
  14. Apr 3, 2019
    Sorry, but this album isn't really good this album should have at least a 60 to 69 score. This album is very boring in someway, too much sadness in it, beats selections aren't really good, out of all the rap albums I've heard in my life I can truly say with confidence is that they are all better than this album. TPAB is better, GKMC is better, DAMN. is better Section.80 is better, MBDTF isSorry, but this album isn't really good this album should have at least a 60 to 69 score. This album is very boring in someway, too much sadness in it, beats selections aren't really good, out of all the rap albums I've heard in my life I can truly say with confidence is that they are all better than this album. TPAB is better, GKMC is better, DAMN. is better Section.80 is better, MBDTF is better, 4:44 is better, KOD is better, 2014 forest hills drive is better, The Cool is better, Saba's care for me is better. Man I can go on and on. It's pathetic that this album actually has a 90 some rating score like come on this album is EXTREMELY OVERRATED and doesn't deserve to be in the 90's rating score and that's facts. If this album stays a 97 or go down to a 96 then I can't take metacritc serious anymore end of story Expand
  15. Mar 13, 2019
    Reposting since my review got deleted. I said what I said!

Orginal review:
    Is this a joke? Unspecial lyrics, mediocre beats. Nowhere near an 100/100 album.
  16. Apr 4, 2019
    my taste for rap music is very specific, i like Kendrick, Jay, Eminem but this is i dunno it's just not for me. The inflection on the words stands out but not in a tasteful way, it doesn't feel natural it feels forced
    The content on the other hand is top notch. I like the way he addresses so many many issues in a very eloquent way. But the sound of him rapping is a little cringe-worthy
  17. Apr 12, 2019
    An okay album. Can't be compared to any other 90's scoring albums. Pretty much forgettable.
  18. Apr 25, 2019
    This one of the best socially conscious albums of all time. Its unfortunate its not too popular. But Dave's story telling is exceptional on this album.
  19. Apr 24, 2019
    Wow. This album has several impressive and powerful tracks. The song "Lesley" captured me. I think it's really a masterpiece rap song with a great music. The song "Black" is another my another favorite song in this album. Well done!

1. The Wire
    May 7, 2019
    Musically it’s mannered to the point where he makes Stormzy look like Tempa T. Token exceptions offer some respite. On “Location” with Burna Boy and “Disaster” with J Hus he briefly escapes the bland backing and naff counselling concept to explore more primal modes of expression. But ultimately the failures predominate, most notably ten minutes of the heavy handed domestic violence PSA “Lesley”. [May 2019, p.50]
  2. Q Magazine
    Apr 9, 2019
    Psychodrama is a bold statement from a rapper unafraid to ask tough questions of himself--and the often unforgiving world around him. [Jun 2019, p.108]
  3. Mar 25, 2019
    It’s rare to hear a debut album so confident and accomplished, especially when the artist himself has just turned 20 years old. Yet Psychodrama is pretty close to a masterpiece and raises the bar for a new standard in British rap.