• Record Label: Woodsist
  • Release Date: May 22, 2020
7.8

Review this album

1. May 22, 2020
    Fantastic album that lives up to the rest of the discography. They managed to merge what made Sun City great into their their longer, more guitar focused songs and it works very well. It shocks me this band aren't bigger than they are.
  2. Jun 1, 2020
    This album sonically is like going outside on an early morning in fall with your sweater on and walking around enjoying the weather and taking in nature. Although in my personal preference, I really like doing this, but I don't love it like others. Maybe this album might grow on me, but for now, some parts of this album don't always click with me right away. But still, when it clicksThis album sonically is like going outside on an early morning in fall with your sweater on and walking around enjoying the weather and taking in nature. Although in my personal preference, I really like doing this, but I don't love it like others. Maybe this album might grow on me, but for now, some parts of this album don't always click with me right away. But still, when it clicks (which is for most of it) it sounds great, and very hopeful lyrically and sonically. Overall, this is a great listen I would recommend to most, although this won't be everyone's thing. Great album tho

Review taken from my page on albumoftheyear.org, go follow it if ya want @rileyperreault

Generally favorable reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. May 28, 2020
    For the most part, the songs are compact, with only the closing instrumental, “Weekend Wind,” passing the six-minute mark. Jeremy Earl’s falsetto is at its most confident and versatile, gliding over tunes that explore the headspace newfound fatherhood has brought him.
  2. May 27, 2020
    The record represents a roaring comeback for the band at a moment to which their sound is particularly well-suited.
  3. May 27, 2020
    Woods consciously goes for simplicity, not depth. The musicianship complements that goal appropriately on Strange to Explain, an album that hazily focuses on themes of dreams and sleep. The wah-wah guitars, Mellotron, and gentle, upbeat drums match the laconic subject matter to relaxing and pleasant, if forgettable, effect, sort of like a dream.