Living Things - Linkin Park
7.8

Review this album

1. Jun 26, 2012
    I kept refreshing the page to ensure that I got the first user review in. Guys and gals, IGNORE THE CRITICS. This is LP's best album since Hybrid Theory, and one of the best rock albums EVER. The amazing thing about this album is that not one song is weak or half hearted. All of them have some quality that makes them shine. The melodies are usual LP stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. What's new is a delicious mixture of electronica which means that every song is in a genre of its own. The deaf and dumb critics, while heaping praise upon smelly, skinny rock bands who can't wear a shirt decently and whose pimples show in their music, have always derided LP. We, the fans know better. I know their lyrics get heavy handed at times - they are not the best lyricists out there. But hey, the music - that INCOMPARABLE mixture of electronica and metal, coupled to earnestness about world and emotional issues, means that even a 33 year old daddy like me can't get enough of them. So go ahead and buy it without fear. LP fans will rejoice, while other rock music fans will find a remarkably consistent album that defies categorization and sounds different from everything else out there. If you're not willing to take that chance, listen to the stream on iTunes or the various videos on YouTube. I can't get myself off this album. The new Smashing Pumpkins album is good too, but the sheer bombast and ambition of Living Things keeps calling me to it. There is something to be said for the incredibly goovy rhythm section that LP have fashioned over the years. This stuff will eat Blink 182's and David Guettas of this world for breakfast. IGNORE THE CRITICS. DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. PLEASE. Expand
  2. Jun 26, 2012
    While it's not the best album of 2012, it certainly is a return to form for a band who lost their way with their previous release. There are only two bad songs on this record (Lies Greed Misery and Until It Breaks) and one "okay" song (Roads Untravelled). Other than the aforementioned this is a solid release by Linkin Park with a semi-new sound and songs that could have been recorded during their Meteora days. I thought I would hate this record but I was wrong. I highly recommend this to all Linkin Park fans! Expand
  3. Jun 26, 2012
    Living Things is easily one of Linkin Park's best records. Opens big with ''Lost In The Echo'' and continues like that for the next 5 songs, and then slows down in ''Castle of Glass'' which is to me the best song on the album. Next track, ''Victimized'' is a heavy, rap-metal track which proves that LP still rocks. Then is the first ballad on the album, ''Roads Untraveled'' which is a beautiful, slow song. ''Skin to Bone'' is one of my favourites, it's a slow song with electro beats. Then is ''Until it Breaks'', which is an experimental rap track with a sung outro. Tinfoil and Powerless finish the album beautifully, and make you love Living Things. Overall 10/10. Any normal human being would love this album. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2012
    CASTLE OF GLASS. Enough said. As a massive LP fan, this is a solid listen. The critics are simply incorrect. This is a modern LP matured Hybrid Theory/Meoteora.
  5. Jun 26, 2012
    The album is absolutely amazing. Much better than Minutes to Midnight and a Thousands suns. Linkin Park have merged what everybody first loved them for (ear splitting choruses and heavy beats) with some of the best parts of their new experimental albums (the electronica) to create a best of both world album that easily sits with Hybrid Theory at the top of Linkin Park's albums.
  6. Jun 26, 2012
    I am a true Linkin Park fan. I love all of their stuff from Minutes to Midnight to Reanimation. This album, topped them all. All of the songs are so beautiful in their own way. Whether it is Roads Untravelled, a depressing, yet somewhat hopeful song, to Powerless, a heartbreak ballad. They are all masterpieces and the group still has it.
  7. Jun 26, 2012
    lo mejor de Linkin Park es no haberse quedado en el pasado. es dificil para mi entender ciertas criticas de trabajos anteriores pidiendo lo que jamas llegara que es la repeticion de sus primeros trabajos, Linkin park busca seguir un camino y no quedarse atras como lo sucedido con otras bandas de sus inicios y este album es justo el resultado de todo lo anterior y eso me satisface. mi unica critica es que pido mas una vez que termina la ultima cancion y justamente eso dudo que sea negativo. Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2012
    I've been a devout fan of Linkin Park for many years now, and they have yet to disappoint me. While I feel that Hybrid Theory and Meteora were their best albums, I also feel that Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns were excellent and interesting in their own ways. Now, with Living Things, it seems that Linkin Park have blended the best elements of those albums to create a cohesive and enjoyable new record. "Lost in the Echo," the opening track, has a Meteora-esque sound that sees Mike Shinoda rapping and Chester Bennington singing against a backdrop of heavy guitar riffs and textured electronics. "In My Remains" reminds me of "New Divide" stylistically, and "Burn It Down" is the catchy electro-rock anthem that was released as the first single from the album. "Lies Greed Misery" and "Victimized" both feature aggressive rapping from Mike and Chester's signature screams. "I'll Be Gone" features a string arrangement by Owen Pallett (longtime Arcade Fire collaborator) and bears a resemblance to "What I've Done" from MTM. "Castle of Glass" is a subdued and atmospheric song that gradually grows heavier, and "Roads Untraveled" is a melodic ballad on which both Mike and Chester sing. "Skin to Bone" is perhaps the most unusual song on the album, with a Depeche Mode kind of sound. "Until It Breaks" is a multi-sectioned, hip-hop-oriented song that mainly features Mike's rapping but also sees guitarist Brad Delson on lead vocals toward the end of the song. "Tinfoil" is an instrumental, similar to "Session" on Meteora. The final track, "Powerless" is a soaring power ballad driven by Chester's wonderful voice.

I have very few complaints with this album. The vocals are great, the instruments are great, the lyrics and composition are great. The final result is a mature and introspective blend of alternative rock, electronica, nu-metal, and hip-hop; and more importantly, Linkin Park's best album in years. In the end, I was once again impressed by Linkin Park, and I hope to see them on tour.
  9. Jun 26, 2012
    The album starts off with LOST IN THE ECHO, opening with pounding bass, blistering raps, and screaming from Chester. While it does have that classic LP feel to it, it is made different and more modern with the addition of heavy layers of electronics.

The wonderful thing about LIVING THINGS is that each some has something unique that other songs do not. Aforementioned LOST IN THE ECHO
    has that classic LP feel with heavy, almost dubstep-esque, electronics. IN MY REMAINS shifts to a military drum beat as Mike sings 'Like an army falling one by one by one'. BURN IT DOWN is the radio single, while LIES GREED MISERY is the hi-speed track that tries to 'punch you in the face'. I'LL BE GONE has impressive string work by Arcade Fire's Owen Pallett, while CASTLE OF GLASS takes a stark experimental turn which would be best described has 'electro-folk-rock'. VICTIMIZED is an extremely heavy high speed song that has heavy screaming, amazing blast beat drum work, and heavy fast raps.

The next few tracks deal with more experimentation: ROADS UNTRAVELED features a jingle melody as the track focuses on the interplay of the singing of Chester and Mike. SKIN TO BONE features a long warming melody to best describe it (as in singing one multiple notes on one 'breath' without actual singing). UNTIL IT BREAKS is the heavy, booming, hip-hop song with a goodness of 90s hip-hop references and possibly Mike Shinoda's best work of his career. The album ends with TINFOIL and POWERLESS (the later being the 'intro' instrumental track leading into the next). POWERLESS truly shows that Linkin Park knows how to end an album and displays Chester screaming/shouting/yelling/whatever without any hint of angst or 'growling'.

LIVING THINGS is not meant to be groundbreaking; it is meant to be a firecracker album that is full of energy and keeps the listener interested the whole way through. Living Things perfectly achieves this goal, with each song keeping the listener 'alive' instead of dragging on.

But LIVING THIINGS has also achieved something else that its original purpose might not have been: to bring something that all LP fans will love. Many fans deserted the band when they went through the experimental Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns phases. However, this album brings back the 'nu-metalz' that the previous fans loved along with the experimentation, creativity, and 'heart fullness' that were present in the aforementioned albums.

If you have deserted Linkin Park in the past because you did not like their new style, then you should reconsider, because this album brings everything you love about Linkin Park and concentrates it into one 37-38 minute album. This one is a must buy.
  10. Jun 26, 2012
    Its a brilliant compilation of everything that defines linkin park and combines the new ideas with the emotion and power of their early works. its a instant classic of rock
  11. Jun 26, 2012
    Living Things would have to be one of the greatest modern albums of all time. Not only did it take what made A Thousand Suns the amazing mind-bending experience that it was, but it also took the band's experimental work like Minutes to Midnight and also took a few hints from the electronic rock medium aswell. Mixed in with choir-tastic lyrics that made A Thousand Suns stand out, another concept, this time dealing with communication and breakdowns between relationships (Division bell much? My favourite Pink Floyd album btw), and the abilities of each of the six musically diverse members of the band creates something unique. Something we have never heard before besides A Thousand Suns, but also this sense of emotion and desperation of the song leaping into your head as you listen to the problems echoing within the music and lyrics. This record is something special. This is one to be recorded in history. Whether or not the band will continue with the tremendous electronic rock concept-experience that A Thousand Suns and Living Things produced or go in another direction for their next album is up to the band to decide. Honestly, I don't mind which direction they take next, but if they go for the same sound again, don't be surprised if their next album ends up being even better. This is their sound. They have found it. The champion sound. Expand
  12. Aug 12, 2013
    As a fan of Linkin Park for nearly a decade, I honestly had to fight a little harder to enjoy Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns. Minutes to Midnight had some standout tracks like "Bleed it Out" and "What I've Done" that made me forgive some of their weirder outings like "In Between" or "The Little Things Give You Away." A Thousand Suns was very epic as a whole, but some songs were hard to like. Songs like "When They Come for Me" and "Blackout" were hard for me to get into.

If you were like me and had some conflicting views on their prior albums though, you can rest assured that this album is nothing nearly as polarizing. In fact, I'd venture to say that this is Linkin Park's most mature and best sound out of every album they've done.

It's difficult for me to pinpoint a part of this album I dislike. For the first time, after listening to this album all the way through, I can safely say Linkin Park has created an album with few missteps, and a very unique, modern sound that blends their newer, more experimental ideas with what they're best known for. Living Things is a great album from an overall very talented band. Definitely worth a listen.
  13. Jun 27, 2012
    Simply i can say is that the album is better than Hybrid Theory And Meteora....I liked A Thousand Suns more than Living Things......but still this record holds its ground..........a must buy album.................
  14. Jul 2, 2012
    another great album from the greatest band....the new album is better than ats and mim...though not good as hbt and meteora...there are a couple of good songs...
  15. Oct 15, 2012
    Linkin Park made it! This album is really a pleasant surprise and a proof that Linkin Park deserve their good stature as a rock band. I love all song of this one, it's an album I can listen to over and over again. A perfect job from Linkin Park; this is gonna be one of my top contenders for the best album of 2012.
  16. Jul 7, 2012
    Welcome back LP! The last two albums, while very good, fell short of Meteora and Hybrid Theory. This one pumps it out on all cylinders. It is very much a return to something you can crank up with the windows down and pump your fist to. A few ballads lighten the load, but it makes the true rock tracks stand out. Lies Greed Misery is stellar and easily one of my favorites. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CRITICS unless you are not a Linkin Park fan, in which case what the heck are you doing reading this? The more I have listened to this album, the more I have loved it. Expand
  17. Jun 26, 2012
    This is an incredible album, they decided to make something different despite what people said and came with this masterpiece.
  18. Jun 26, 2012
    Living Things is easily one of best rock albums ever made. Every song on the record has its own recognition and power. I have been listening to Linkin Park ever since I was a kid and they always sound awesome. DON'T LISTEN TO CRITICS! They don't even understand the intensity of the awesomeness of this album. "Lost in the Echo", "In My Remains", "Castle of Glass", and "Roads Untraveled" are my favorite on the album. "Lies Greed Misery" is a catchy dubstep/rock/rap track which sounds nothing like Skrillex as reviewed by the critics. "Tinfoil" is an amazing instrumental, literally gives you chills and the way it connects with "Powerless" which closes the album is epic. THIS ALBUM IS A MUST LISTEN. LINKIN PARK, FOR THE WIN! Expand
  19. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1. LOST IN THE ECHO (8/10) - I really felt this song was Mike back in form. The rapping had a great flow over a heavy electronic instrumental. I loved the raw energy that Chester brought in the chorus, along with the screams. 2. IN MY REMAINS (8/10) - This song really left me wanting more. I loved the song structure of the song, and the lyrics are definitely an improvement from their first three albums.

3. BURN IT DOWN (7/10) - This song really didn't blow me away at all. It's a decent song, but it got boring really quick. 4. LIES GREED MISERY (7/10) - Another song that didn't leave a real big impression. I think this song would have been better as an instrumental.

5. I'LL BE GONE (9/10) - Some of Linkin Park's best lyrics yet. Though with all the hype going around it, I was expecting more from Owen Pallett, who did the string arrangement on the song. It may have been the quality of the rip, but I could barely make it out. 6. CASTLE OF GLASS (9.5/10) - One of a few songs that are incredibly inspired by folk. It really exceeded my expectations.

7. VICTIMIZED (10/10) - This song goes from folk music, to metalcore, to hip hop, and back to metalcore in just a short 1 minute 50 second song. It's a whole lot of song in not a whole lot of time, which is what makes this song epic. 8. ROADS UNTRAVELED (9.5/10) - A huge piano driven song with some of the most emotional lyrics I have heard from the band. 9. SKIN TO BONE (10/10) - Tied for being my favorite off of the album, this song has a death-folk feel to it, but being totally electronic. This is really Mike at his best as far as singing goes, and I hope that more stuff in the future sounds like this from them.

10. UNTIL IT BREAKS (10/10) - Again tied for being my favorite, this song goes from full on Rasta Shinoda over an electronic beat, to Chester wanting strength from the rising sun, back to Rasta Shinoda to a more organic instrumental, to Brad singing what sounds like a church hymn. It may seem random, but they totally work together really well.

11. TINFOIL / POWERLESS (9/10) - I didn't want to rate these two tracks seperately, since TINFOIL is really just the intro to POWERLESS. I love the epic feeling to it.
  20. Jun 26, 2012
    Living Things is a combination (A
  21. Jun 26, 2012
    LIVING THINGS, is an AWESOME album, and has to be one of the best rockmainstream album out there.It's so enjoyable,this is Linkin Park in pure form, energy, big choruses, melodies, rap,scream,big beats, wall of sounds, and little of that experimentation that was introduced in A Thousand Suns. This is Awesomeness... This is Linkin Park.
  22. Jun 27, 2012
    I pre ordered this album a month ago boy was it worth it. I ve been a LP fan for over nearly 12 years now, and this comes as possibly the most varied LP record yet. When mike said they ve put all the elements of their past albums in to this i was a bit skeptical, thinking it might be a jumble but hell it is one of the greatest rock albums in years. It has everything that defines LP - raps, riffs, electronica, vocals, screaming vocal, amazing choruses, hip pop beats, heavy drums and even a guitar solo here and there! I have never seen a band or an artist this versatile in their music. never. They can create music from any genre and put them together to final make a rock album. I dont think that theres a band out there that has this talent out their in modern times atleast. Lyrics wise they have improved alot over the last 10 years. Although this album has some weak lyric moments, it also has some amazing strong points as well, for instance Castle of Glass and Roads Untraveled. Critics will never fully appreciate LP, i dont know why. Cos grammys seem to be going out to the beibers, LMFAOs, but they fail to recognize such amazing music. I hope this will change.

For me this album is beyond amazing. It has everything that i ve ever wanted from a LP album. I just wish that LP keep making such brilliant music and continue to enthrall us in years to come.
  23. Jun 28, 2012
    Living Things no pretende alucinar a sus fans con muchos sonidos nuevos.; solo quiere mantener a los oyentes expectantes de la combinación de los 12 años de carrera de Linkin Park. Cumple el propósito de dejar un tema que te guste, ya sea si te gusta Hybrid Theory, o no te gustó Minutes to Midnight o si te fascinó A Thousand Suns. Living Things es un regalo para aquellos que anhelaban canciones con más del nü metal de Meteora, pero sin descuidar su estructura experimental.

En sus concisos 37 minutos de duración, Linkin Park deja con ganas de escuchar mucho más, porque Living Things es un disco maduro que reúne todo lo mejor de la banda, con un rock alternativo más introspectivo que nunca.

24. Jun 27, 2012
    Very impressed how they transitioned their sound to accomodate not only their repsected fans, but for future listners. This album will give the same fellings to young fans as Hybrid Theory did for me. These guys work very hard. Although not very pleased with their previous efforts, LP has matured its sound and thoses who grew up with them should be thankfull for that
  25. Jun 28, 2012
    "Living Things", to me at least, is a masterstroke by LP. I'm a fan that has followed them since Hybrid Theory, and (at times) I find myself missing the huge-riff heaviness of the first two albums. However, listening to "Living Things", I did not miss the old ways at all. As many people have said, the album has peaks and valleys, and every single song can be defined in a unique genre. Some emotional standouts include "In My Remains", "Castle of Glass", and "Roads Untraveled". Other songs in the album will make you jump around, get pumped up, or feel like crying. All in all, LP has taken their "A Thousand Suns" sound, mixed it with their old styles, and continued their passions for lyrical connections to the fans. A great album, LP. Expand
  26. Jun 29, 2012
    The band has been heading in this direction for the past 5 years or so. The album is pretty good when you listen to it out of the Hybrid Theory/Meteora context. So far liking it after the second listen, I wasn't impressed the first time. Now I can't stop playing LOST IN THE ECHO, BURN IT DOWN, I'LL BE GONE, CASTLE OF GLASS, ROAD UNTRAVELED, SKIN AND BONES (personal favorite), UNTIL IT BREAKS, and POWERLESS is just an amazing track. Don't be fooled, remove the Hybrid Theory and Meteora goggles and listen for what this is... new LP album in the direction we all knew they were eventually heading. If you want Hybrid Theory and Meteora bust those albums out and rock them! Expand
  27. Jul 3, 2012
    I can't help but give this album nothing less than a 10. The Album is nothing but amazing. I am and I've always been a Freak Linkin Park fan and this album was nothing but amazing. True I was a bit disappointed with the fact that they mixed a lot of electronics in it but still the album is nothing but amazing. I love how they brought back Mike rapping along with Chester screaming. This album just shows their progress throughout the ages. Living Things' = EPIC Expand
  28. Jul 4, 2012
    This album is a pure mixture of their previous albums, like "Lies Greed Misery" and "Victimized" continued the Chester-scream style, while "Roads Untraveled" and "Castle of Glass" are in A Thousand Suns style, pop/rock mixture. "Burn it Down" is the most outstanding song in the album, but I personally think "Powerless" is a masterpiece too. "Lost in the Echo" featured Mike's rap, and the rap is better than previous songs. In my opinion, this is a great album where LP is trying to satisfy both "Hybrid Theory" and "A Thousand Suns"/"Minutes to Midnight" fans, and they've did a great work, so it's a bit sad to see this album's metacritic score being lower than average. Expand
  29. Oct 9, 2012
    I loved this. I don't get how people can be so against this band. They don't want each record to sound the same and that isn't a problem, would you prefer them to pump out the same stuff? It's so uncreative and DEFINITELY isn't who Linkin Park are. They choose to implement so many styles and choose to be a different band, which is refreshing because lately every band is happy to produce the same dull sound. Expand
  30. Oct 14, 2012
    While Linkin Park has easily acheived some 10/10 albums in the past, their last two albums have barely been worth the materials they were printed on. The same, however, can not be said for this album. LP has made something of a return to their roots, but has avoided redundancy. "Living Things" brings lyrical content superior to that of "A Thousand Suns" and "Minutes to Midnight" as well as much better music.

Linkin Park established a style centered on Chester Bennington's vocals, Mike Shinoda's rapping, and Mr. Hahn's talents in the two items. When the term 'LP style' is used in this review, ir refers to the aforementioned.

"Burn It Down" represents the closest this album gets to any song on "Hybrid Theory" or "Meteora," but it also does an excellent job of showing how Linkin Park is cabable of being Linkin Park and still allowing the influence of other musical styles. "Lost in the Echo" manages to be a little more melodic than "Burn It Down" and does a really good job of showing off the talents of Mr. Hahn. "In My Remains" clings a little closer to the rock genre, taking a break from the LP style while still remaining as a good track. "Lies Greed Misery" brings the LP style into more of a hard rock/metal sound and is a fairly decent effort. "I'll Be Gone" departs from the LP style, entering a very melodic rock that is pleasing to listen to. "Castle Of Glass" introduces a very somber tone to the album. This track features some prominent synth sounds over a very melody driven and well instrumented track and stands out as one of the best songs on the album. "Victimized" is a drum set heavy, double bass driven, track that should have just been left off of the album despite being vaguely reminiscent of the LP style. "Roads Untraveled" returns to a somber tone and showcases some of the better vocals on the album, as well as some of the better guitar work. "Skin to Bone" is a decent track. "Until It Breaks" features Shinoda rapping as a prominent driving force and represents something we haven't heard much of in Linkin Park's entire history. It may lean a little closer to Fort Minor, but some small ballads prevent it from being straight up rap. This song itself be the start of an entire album and is a very pleasing addition to the overall sound of "Living Things." "Tinfoil," like "Cure for the Itch" and "Session," is a small interlude, but features the piano moreso than the turntablism of Mr. Hahn. This stort interlude also provides a missed element of Linkin Park's first two albums by providing a seamless transition from "Until It Breaks" to "Powerless." "Powerless" echoes the somber tones and piano based tracks found throughout the album with parts of the song becoming very grandiose, finishing off the album on a good note, no pun intended.

In general, this album represents a good blend of both electronic and standard music elements and also represents the first release that Linkin Park managed to actually move forward from their first two albums. For some, this may be one of the albums by which future LP albums are measured.
  31. Mar 15, 2013
    Linkin Park decided to renew with A Thousand Suns, an album that divided his fans at the turn had taken the band. They passed the nu metal that came forward, and entered in the (so trendy) electronics. Her fifth album, Living Things, aimed at a return to its origins. However, this has not happened. Unlike. Have followed the lead of the previous work, however much they offer little moments that may remind its inception.
    Lost In The Echo brand which will be heard on the album. Start with some synths that give way to a sharp guitars and rap-rock tandem that works so well to the group. Even incorporating some dubstep (even they get rid of this award). In My Remains follows roughly the same structure, with a more powerful chorus guitar full of explosions. Burn It Down is the one who comes off better than the combination of rock and electronica. Synth lines, present from the beginning, are directly irresistible. Mike Shinoda's rap remains anecdotal at this first single is one of the highlights of the album cuts.
    Linkin Park is not completely forgets his side purely rock. Hence to prove it in some songs. Greed Lies In Misery energetic, Chester Bennington has his voice to the limit.
    Linkin Park is diverging from its beginnings with Living Things in a move that was necessary if they wanted to remain a front-line group. Is there any nu metal band that enjoys the popularity of Linkin Park? The album contains some ideas that do not work or are left half, as this interlude is Tinfoil. Although it should be noted that the success is the production, which enhances the anguish of the lyrics. Living Things shows that the group has adapted and can still offer interesting topics and guitarists, even electronic trick there.
  32. DME
    Aug 2, 2012
    Overall, Living Things is an excellent album. It's unique and varied. Alas, it's not perfect. The lyrics written for SKIN TO BONE are absolutely terrible, even if the music itself is cool. And TINFOIL shouldn't of been separated from it's parent, POWERLESS, as the two tracks are simply two parts of the same song. But there are at least 10 other solid offerings to listen to. It is, however, unfortunate that these offerings barely scrape the 30-minute mark. A far too short album that could of been held back and expanded. But what the band lacks in quantity, they certainly make up for in quality. Expand
  33. Jul 15, 2012
    Alot of critics these days need to understand that its music that is progressing like any other genre, just look at R&B now a days its all about partying up now, no more love songs to sooth the a broken heart.....Living Things is a great album to all those true Linkin Park fans, but the future a little more head banging wouldn't hurt either
  34. Jun 27, 2012
    Ok. So I'm not sure what the critics are thinking. Its by no means a average album. It is a very good album. There are no songs that are generic or bad. Each one has its own pros. The album itself is like LPs other albums combined into one. There are pieces of each albums sound in it. I would say overall its a 8 or 9 but I gave it a 10 because the critics are taking the score to low.
  35. Jan 7, 2013
    I probably bought about 15 albums last year, and "Living Things" is probably the best album I got that year. Is it like Hybrid Theory? In my opinion no, but thats not a bad thing. It take elements from all past albums and mixed into this one. Many people may be turned away because of the electronic, which I can understand, but it doesn't bother me at all. "Skin to Bones" and "Until it Breaks" are prob my 2 least favorites on it, but I don't hate them. Is the album perfect? Absolutely not, however it is an album I enjoy very deeply and look forward to what else is to come.

Recommended Tracks: "Lost in the Echo" 'Powerless" "In My Remains"
  36. Jun 26, 2012
    Just when we thought Linkin Park reached the peak of their career they release Living Things. There is no doubt that Living Things is the best album released by Linkin Park since Meteora. Those who were let down by both Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns have something in store for them. Using elements from all their albums, with emphasis on Hybrid Theory and Meteora, Linkin Park constructed and delivered a beautiful record that will satisfy their fans. Ignore what the critics say; their reviews are filled with bias and resentment towards the band. If you are a Linkin Park fan, go out and buy the record to support the band Expand
  37. Aug 8, 2012
    Really good album which is like a collection of all 4 Linkin Park albums thus far. Hybrid Theory/Meteora finds will enjoy Lost in the Echo, Minutes to Midnight fans will enjoy In My Remains and I'll Be Gone whilst A Thousand Suns fans will enjoy Castle of Glass. Perfect album. LINKIN PARK are BACK!!!
  38. Jun 26, 2012
    This is easily the best Linkin Park album since Meteora. It updates nu-metal for the decade, with epic production mixed with the heavy guitars to give the genre a new sound that matches the times! The first half is classic Linkin Park, where songs such as Lost in the Echo, I'll Be Gone and Victimized bring back the feel of the first two albums we all love. In the second half there is some iffy stuff, Skin to Bone is old LP fan repellent and Until It Breaks could be a Black Eyed Peas song without Chester's and Brad's verses. Then, the album closes with Powerless, which has become of my new favorite Linkin Park songs! Whether you've been a fan since Hybrid Theory or A Thousand Suns, you're more than likely to get something out of this album. Expand
  39. Jul 20, 2012
    While it's not the best album of 2012, it certainly is a return to form for a band who lost their way with their previous release. There are only two bad songs on this record (Lies Greed Misery and Until It Breaks) and one "okay" song (Roads Untravelled). Other than the aforementioned this is a solid release by Linkin Park with a semi-new sound and songs that could have been recorded during their Meteora days. I thought I would hate this record but I was wrong. I highly recommend this to all Linkin Park fans Expand
  40. Jun 29, 2012
    let me say, as a LONG TIME LP fan, it is so nice to see they are heading back towards what they use to do best! I do not mind their new sound, but their Meteora was an album I lived by through High School. I still go back and listen to it, it is an amazing accomplishment that replaced their already amazing Hybrid Theory.
    I hope they keep up the great work!
  41. Jun 28, 2012
    Castle of Glass and Roads Untravelled were my highlights of this album. I was a fan of A Thousand Suns while a lot of people weren't, this album on the other hand was amazing in so many ways. For one thing, there are more songs which feature Mike's rapping skills, something any Linkin Park fan can agree on. With that you also have some more sombre songs by Chester and some great rock ballads. There are even some songs which simply bust other genres wide open as they bless your ears with their lovely sound. This is a must have album, whether you are a LP fanatic or just an occasional listener. Best album of 2012 hands down. Expand
  42. Jul 2, 2012
    This is a constant improvement from a thousand suns. It just takes time to listen carefully. Like A Thousand suns , this is an ALBUM. It is based on a certain concept . It's not like other albums with list of songs. The band is just making an attempt on adding new material, so we have to wait until the band gets the formula right .

BAND STATUS: EXPERIMENTAL
  43. Jun 27, 2012
    At first, I really didn't like this album, but I gave it a chance, because the same thing happened with ATS. The first time I listened to it, I hated it, but now, it might be one of my favorite albums of all time. The same thing happened with Living Things. The only thing I still don't like is the rap part in 'Lost in the Echo', but other than that, I simply love everything. Some songs are very reminiscent of their older stuff, some songs sound like they could have been on MtM or ATS, and some songs just sound like nothing they've ever done before. It's a great combination of louder and softer songs, and after listening to it at least 50 times since I bought the album, it still doesn't bore me. If you didn't like this cd the first time you listened to it, I suggest you give it some more tries, because the first time I heard this cd, I hated it, but after a few more listens, it really grew on me. I don't think you can judge this album by listening to it only once. Expand
  44. Jun 29, 2012
    the album is a massive linkin park's comeback and tracks like in my remains and roads untravelled and in my remains bring that works of earler rock bands.but tracks like i'll be gone,burn it down,castle of glass and lost in the echo ae the best tracks on the album.powerless is another geat track.In all the album is a very good album and rock fan and linkin park fan must grab it.
  45. Jul 4, 2012
    One of the best rock album of the year. Lost in the echo amazing! This album can be considerated one of the best album of entire Linkin Park's career.
  46. Jul 4, 2012
    Linkin Park's "Living Things" is a very good album, and i don't understand why the critics are so incorrect with them. They deserve a Grammy Awards this year.
  47. Jul 4, 2012
    I'm a real fan of Linkin Park and i'm very angry with the critics! 57 is a very low rating for this EXCELLENT album. I hope some other critics will increase this metascore.
  48. Jul 14, 2012
    Awesome and a fantastic album!! Living things has some brilliant songs, some better than the other but all together a great album. It might be different from their others but still amazing!
  49. Jul 17, 2012
    While not the strongest Linkin Park album, Living Things represents a return to form. The band seems to be through with experimenting and is comfortable in their skin again. Some of my favourite Linkin Park songs can be found on this album. It offers plenty of emotion both lyrically and vocally, and it is great to hear the rap/rock interplay between Chester and Mike in full effect! It's not the best Linkin Park album, but it's still a good one! Expand
  50. Jul 21, 2012
    yet another Linkin Park album that grows on you as you keep listening to it. Like Shinoda said, it isn't a return to hybrid theory, but to their roots, All the songs are impressive, except maybe Until It Breaks, which gets you hooked after 3-4 listens. Here's a Track by Track Review

Lost In the Echo : The legendary vocal interplay between Chester and Mike returns, with a decent amount
    of synth and guitars.
    In My Remains : Purely Alternative Rock and Chester shines again. Though the line " one by one by one " is addictive, it seems funny on the first listen
    Burn It Down : An energetic synth rock track, and a powerful performance from both Mike and Chester.
    Lies Greed Misery : A heavily electronic rap track influenced by the tribal drumbeats of "When They Come for Me", Chester's first full on screaming section in the album is brilliant
    I'll be Gone : While sounding like a potential Dead By Sunrise song, it's edgy and gets the listener hooked to the opening riff. Owen Pallet does a nice job with the strings
    Castle Of Glass : WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! Similar to the vocal interplay in Burning in The Skies, but a much much better song.
    Victimized :Nu-Metal fans, this one's for you. Majority of the credit for this song goes to the unsung hero of the track, ROB BOURDON.
    Roads Untraveled : Reminded me of the poem by Robert Frost, and the intro to My
  51. Aug 9, 2012
    I really like this album one of their top three albums after Meteora (The best) and Hybrid Theory, I admire Chester's performance on this album especially LIES GREED MISERY and POWERLESS, I think any song of the album deserves to be the lead single of the album more than BURN IT DOWN but I love it too so that means that all the album is perfect, it's only disadvantage that it's very short, it's an EP to me and I needed more music Expand
  52. Nov 22, 2012
    Best rock album I've ever heard
  53. Jan 11, 2013
    Not as bold as their previous album, or as "screamy" as HB+Meteora, Living thing is nevertheless a masterpiece coming from a talented band. The songs, raging from more "familiar sounds" such as Lost in the Echo and Victimized, to "softer pieces", like Castle of Glass and Roads Untraveled, have a great expressive force, one which is translating well to their live performances
  54. Mar 26, 2013
    best album of 2012 no doubt................................................................amazing is a simple word to describe the album....................................
  55. Oct 1, 2013
    Easily my favorite album from last year! Im listening to the whole album right now! Almost as good as Hybrid Theory!!! LINKIN PARK FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  56. Sep 27, 2013
    while, not perfect it's a great album, and i enjoyed the majority of the songs from it. not their best album though, (i preferred hybrid theory more), it's definitely a close second.
  57. Feb 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Seriously..... i am loving the "new" linkin park much more that the "old" linkin park. A thousand suns blew me away completely after a few listens...... i think its the best album they have released ever.....
    when lp announced that they would release living things, i thought that they would actually build on sound that they created in thousand suns...... but it was quite the opposite...... even though they had a lot of electronica from the previous album...... this album consists of more catchier songs with the conventional sound structure......
    this is a brilliant album and really good lyrics about personal relationships.... although i found it less unique than a thousand suns......
    elements from the first two albums have been incorporated in the songs...... with chester screaming more that what he did in the previous albums.....
    highlights of the album are "lost in the echo", "until it breaks", "roads untravelled" and "castle of glass"......
    sometimes you may feel that some parts of the songs would have sounded better with guitars..... for instance.... burn it down......
    none of the linkin park albums have disappointed me...... and hopefully the 6th album is bigger and better that the living things......

score 9/10
  58. Mar 13, 2014
    Linkin Park has changed a bit but your style does not mean that this album there are two songs not great songs that deserve mention are:
    Lost In The Echo: the beats of music are not electronically but not most and why music is not one of the best, why, rap by mike and sedge of electronics with the battery are entitled to alternative
    Lies Greed Misery: the Music which makes a rap
    criticizes our society besides mix different beats never seen before Expand

1. Jul 27, 2012
    Bold stuff and proof Shinoda remains a richly talented creative force. [Aug 2012, p.103]
  2. Jul 18, 2012
    Living Things is a very good entry that's simply not as special as its precursor. All in all, Linkin Park has always been a bit unique and the best at what they do, and they continue to excel on this album. Just don't expect too much from it.
  3. Jul 17, 2012
    Too often, Living Things is the sound of a band with vast talent, but also one that hasn't figured out where to go next. [23 Jun 2012, p.52]