8.6

Review this album

1. Nov 1, 2019
    I love Michael . I was so hyped for this album after i saw the reviews . But in the end this was just an okay album . There wasn't any song from this album that made me say "wow this is such a good song . But there also weren't any song which made me say "wow thid is a bad song ". In conclusion this album is just okay for me nothing else
  2. Nov 2, 2019
    It's a beautiful album, and highly appropriate to the needs of these times in all respects.

I'm giving it a 9 because it feels a bit preachy instead of personal/emotional, but it gets the core of the emotional journey to peace of mind right. This is certainly Michael Kiwanuka's best album. Album of the year is between this and Ghosteen for me. I think this album is an easier listen

Album of the year is between this and Ghosteen for me. I think this album is an easier listen but Ghosteen is more subtle in capturing the journey through grief and finding hope on the other side. Tough choice.
  3. Nov 2, 2019
    I adored his sophomore album "Love & Hate", but "Kiwanuka" is too atmospheric and rather boring. Production and instrumentational arrangements are nice, but the songs are idling, lamenting and not very strong. There's no real musical hook – and above all no emotion. Mr. Kiwanukas singing style was never very forcefull, but here it is especially frustrating, expressionless and bland. I'mI adored his sophomore album "Love & Hate", but "Kiwanuka" is too atmospheric and rather boring. Production and instrumentational arrangements are nice, but the songs are idling, lamenting and not very strong. There's no real musical hook – and above all no emotion. Mr. Kiwanukas singing style was never very forcefull, but here it is especially frustrating, expressionless and bland. I'm sorry, but to me "Kiwanuka" sounds like a bad rip-off of "Love & Hate" without any inspiration. Expand
  4. Nov 1, 2019
    Michael's greatest record to date. Touching, soulful and honest. Beautiful, heartbreaking record. Also one of the best releases this year.
  5. Nov 10, 2019
    Easily one of the best albums of this year. it grows on you with each listening. I guess his best album so far. the album has not only melancholic and happy but also extravert and introvert moments. great production beyond question.
  6. Nov 13, 2019
    KIWANUKA starts. At the first 3 songs, U2 imposture creeps in and then leaves with no impressions. The remaining begins to take over with soul-infused. Intros and its corresponding songs are done nicely, except the track Hero, as it's intricate but bland. At the end, it leaves no marks but acknowledgement that KIWANUKA is just an exhibition of musical skills and just that.
  7. Nov 1, 2019
    Michael se superou, eu fui com expectativas e fui muito surpreendido, álbum completo que vai ser tornar atemporal.
  8. Nov 2, 2019
    From the first track "You Aint The Problem"
    You will know that this is an album worth your lifetime. Even though LOVE & HATE was a masterpiece, KIWANUKA is greater then its predecessor album.
    Definitely Top 3 album of the year
  9. Nov 2, 2019
    I just finished my second listen to the album. It is elating me currently. I find I am in a state of bliss as I'm driving along, the mix of soulfulness with the perfect production from Danger Mouse makes this an album I'll be playing until I have intimately mapped its nuances. Definitely worth picking up!
  10. Nov 9, 2019
    A stunningly sublime listen, best done in a single, uninterrupted sitting - or in my case, with headphones, in a dark, quiet place. The interwoven tracks tell a modern tale, with such an interesting mix of styles and a 60-70s vibe throughout. Wah-wah guitars, clever background chatter, harps, violins, gospel choirs and psychedelic themes. All pulled together with Michael’s soft, soulfulA stunningly sublime listen, best done in a single, uninterrupted sitting - or in my case, with headphones, in a dark, quiet place. The interwoven tracks tell a modern tale, with such an interesting mix of styles and a 60-70s vibe throughout. Wah-wah guitars, clever background chatter, harps, violins, gospel choirs and psychedelic themes. All pulled together with Michael’s soft, soulful voice. I am seriously excited about this album. Not heard the likes for literally decades. For me, truly faultless. Expand

1. Nov 12, 2019
    An album that could have been a grueling downer from start to finish. Instead, it’s a testament to perseverance, determination and a vivid creative imagination from an artist who seems to have finally found himself, and that’s profound enough.
  2. Nov 11, 2019
    Michael Kiwanuka has undoubtedly created a timeless album, one made with impressive confidence.
  3. Nov 8, 2019
    Even for fans of his debut, the soft-spoken, acoustic Home Again, Kiwinuka's latest features some of the DNA of that record as well—albeit in light of his new-found electric, sharper side.