7.0

Review this album

1. May 25, 2020
    the first listen is a lot, as this album has a lot to say... but damn it only gets better every time
  2. May 22, 2020
    After being a huge fan of a couple of their singles over their years i expected them to return to their original vibes with this one but what I found was an unbalanced, disoriented mess of an album with very little purpose. There was only maybe two tracks that stood out which is as bad as most of the 80s one hit wonder albums.
  3. May 22, 2020
    Awful.
    I tried to like it but every other song is an autotuned mess. Matt's completely lost his mind (probably all the drugs and weed he smokes). One of the worst releases in the past 10 years. I'll put it down there with all the other gangster rap.
  4. May 22, 2020
    There are some good tracks on this album. However, the album lacks purpose and feels very untidy. Whilst a diverse range of genres is most appreciated, this album signifies that The 1975 no longer possesses the unique style they once had. A Brief Inquiry into Online Relationships should have been the framework to build off for this album.
  5. May 22, 2020
    What happened to this band? I didn’t like a brief inquire as well as the first 2 albums but this one is by far the worst album they’ve released. An instrumental every other song? The first part of the album sucks and the end of the album sucks. The middle is ok, I feel so let down....
  6. May 22, 2020
    There’s no pacing, there’s no flow, the musical interludes add nothing and are way way way too frequent and on the songs that there’s actual singing the songwriting is bad and the instrumentals are nothing special, the dance tracks don’t fit at all, the album doesn’t flow from track to track at all I feel like I’ve just pressed shuffle on a playlist. And god the interludes every otherThere’s no pacing, there’s no flow, the musical interludes add nothing and are way way way too frequent and on the songs that there’s actual singing the songwriting is bad and the instrumentals are nothing special, the dance tracks don’t fit at all, the album doesn’t flow from track to track at all I feel like I’ve just pressed shuffle on a playlist. And god the interludes every other track theres a **** interlude it’s so **** bloated they are needless I am so disappointed, the production is so **** bare bones and boring it hurts. The best track here is easily nothing revealed/everything denied and even that can’t stand up to the best tracks from their last album like GYAT. The worst track out of the actual vocal tracks here, of which there are about like 11, is don’t worry because it’s slow boring and the production is weak. I would genuinly give this a 1-2/10 and I went in liking the bands pervious music. Expand
  7. May 22, 2020
    Don't get me wrong; this album is not terrible in any way. I think the main problem with this album is the lack of balance between the tracks. The mixing is uneven, you have a lot of filler instrumental tracks (which again, aren't horrible on their own, they just don't fit the general style).

This album is all over the place, it takes you from punk to indie, to disco back to alternative, etc. You can't sit down and enjoy the record for more than 2 tracks before it starts throwing your mind around left and right not giving you time to take in whatever is happening, and with the mixing being awkward I found myself changing the volume through the album a lot.

With their last record, I feel like they had struck a perfect balance of their alt-rock/pop/instrumental formula. The album would pick back up on boring moments, and wasn't so messy. This album is very long, the tracks don't fit well with one another, almost as if they wanted this to be a double album, but they rushed into packing all of these ideas into one.

I understand they most likely have contracts to respect, but I would have cut about half of the album and released later as an EP or something else, not as a 22 track album.

Overall, this album will just be a "spawn" for fans to add songs to their playlists, and forget about the rest.

tl;dr - The songs are good , but the album pretty much serves no purpose and is very messy.
  8. May 23, 2020
    The 1975 are not afraid to experiment. Throughout this album, you can hear pop, punk, eletronic, 80s pop-rock, orchestral pieces and everything you can imagine. Expect the unexpected. The 1975 have the best albums out there and this one is no different. Personally, it's my favourite album by the band and one of the best ones ever released. The critics gave it poor numbers because they areThe 1975 are not afraid to experiment. Throughout this album, you can hear pop, punk, eletronic, 80s pop-rock, orchestral pieces and everything you can imagine. Expect the unexpected. The 1975 have the best albums out there and this one is no different. Personally, it's my favourite album by the band and one of the best ones ever released. The critics gave it poor numbers because they are afraid of what's different from mainstream. Really, if you want an album that is all about feelings and not really sounds, there you go! The 1975 did THAT again. Expand
  9. May 22, 2020
    Its beautiful chaos. Notes on a conditional form is some of the best work that they have done. Each instrumental gives you an opportunity is digest the album as it goes along navigating through genre after genre with that 1975 take.
  10. May 22, 2020
    Disappointing to say the least. As a MASSIVE fan, this album comes across as completely misguided. The guys have been living in the same house with a recording studio, together, for the entire process of this album. And my god, does it feel like it. It feels like it's been overworked and overworked until the record label told them they HAD to get it out. Matty has said in multipleDisappointing to say the least. As a MASSIVE fan, this album comes across as completely misguided. The guys have been living in the same house with a recording studio, together, for the entire process of this album. And my god, does it feel like it. It feels like it's been overworked and overworked until the record label told them they HAD to get it out. Matty has said in multiple interviews that the reason for the delay previous to now (a year from the original release date) was due to "adding more stuff" to the songs. Again--you can tell. I feel like I'm drowning in the production on this album. Like they said "well, the songs are **** but we can just add enough tracks that no one can tell!
    This is the sound of exhausted, overworked, creatively spent, depressed musicians with no one from the record label there to say "Matty, I think you've done enough." There are simply not enough good songs to justify the mass amount of bloated, over-sampled filler on this album.
  11. May 22, 2020
    One big fat ego reflecting and boosting release. Jam packed full of instrumental filler and auto tune. All with the goal of sounding deep and motivational but just ends up falling flat on its face, not like that matters because Matty Healy could literally release an album of silence and his cult like fanbase would still call it ‘art’
  12. May 23, 2020
    Excellent “album”...body of work. Diverse, masterful and huge production. So many notable influences summing to beautiful originality. I’ll spend a lot of time with this album
  13. May 22, 2020
    Really not understanding what everyone is having a problem with here. I've been listening to these guys since their very first EP, and I've found some of their music enjoyable, but sometimes they were kinda strange. I couldn't say I ever enjoyed a single one of their albums in its entirety, but they always had decent songs scattered about. Strangely, I can say, for once, I actually like aReally not understanding what everyone is having a problem with here. I've been listening to these guys since their very first EP, and I've found some of their music enjoyable, but sometimes they were kinda strange. I couldn't say I ever enjoyed a single one of their albums in its entirety, but they always had decent songs scattered about. Strangely, I can say, for once, I actually like a 1975 album in its entirety now.

This is a lot more all over the place and eclectic than any of their prior work and that's an aspect that I feel should be respected, and all of their cooky experiments really seem to actually work here. I loved all the future garage tracks (I believe there were 5), as I saw that to be one of the stronger aspects of Online Relationships, which, unfortunately, included only one future garage track. Speaking of which, despite the reviews and scores I've seen, I find this to be WAY better than that album was.

Maybe I'm strange or whatever, but I really found this to be their best collections of songs yet, and one I think should actually be worthy of praise... and, yet, here with are without any praise
  14. May 28, 2020
    Not really sure what's happened with these guys. This is their worst album to date. The only listenable tracks are 'if you're too shy', 'frail state of mind' and 'me and you together song' (hence 3/10). The rest are complete and utter garbage. Far too many songs on the album. Really disappointed as I've been a huge fan since 2013. Leave it five years and come back with something decent please!
  15. May 22, 2020
    Talented. Brilliant. Incredible. Amazing. Show stopping. Spectacular. Never be the same. Totally unique. Completely not ever been done before.
  16. May 22, 2020
    The "lack of purpose" is the most personal, honest and pure trait of the album. This is about what modernity really is, they know about it and somehow they found a way to "embrace it" through the hole concept of the album. I'm speechless. This is pure art.
  17. May 22, 2020
    Not on Brief Inquiry level but still good.. i feel like the more i hear, the best it turns
  18. May 22, 2020
    Goes off in so many different directions and there really is a song for everybody on this album. Personally for me it features some of the best work they have done, along with some randomness, but thats what you have to expect with The 1975!
  19. May 22, 2020
    At this point in time I’ve listened to the entire “The 1975” catalogue, with 2016’s I Like It When You Sleep being one of my all time favorite albums. Notes On A Conditional Form is unlike every other album the band has made in that a quarter of the tracks aren’t needed and it makes the album feel bloated and longer than it needs to be. Songs like “Yeah I know” and “Shiny Collarbone” areAt this point in time I’ve listened to the entire “The 1975” catalogue, with 2016’s I Like It When You Sleep being one of my all time favorite albums. Notes On A Conditional Form is unlike every other album the band has made in that a quarter of the tracks aren’t needed and it makes the album feel bloated and longer than it needs to be. Songs like “Yeah I know” and “Shiny Collarbone” are great beats with lackluster feeing (even by 1975 standards) with one line repeated over and over. Ambient Interludes or instrumentals have been a 1975 staple but, in the past those interludes felt needed to convey feeling or connect 2 songs but on this album most of them feel like they were made just to be made, to fill the album out. The album feels rushed or it leaves you with that feeling because it’s all over the place, lacking direction of what the album wants to be. Most of the singles including “The Birthday Party” (probably my favorite song of theirs on any album) and “If You’re Too Shy” are true hits but the rest of the album doesn’t standout from those initial singles. This leaves me with the feeling that a quarter of the album could of been scrapped and it should of been 13-14 songs. The intro track “The 1975” does not start the album well for me. It’s a speech from Greta Thunberg about the fallout of the global warming crisis we’re all facing. I’m a huge advocate for the environment but it just doesn’t seem to fit the album or feel right to start the album with Greta’s long winded speech. When replaying the album I often skip this track, track 2 “People” and track 3 “The End” It just feels like it’s not the right start, starting the album instead on track 4 “Frail State of Mind”. Some tracks show promise and push the band in a new direction like “Nothing Revealed / Everything Denied” a brutally honest slow rap that has a great gospel-like chorus but again it feels out of place when listening to the 2 or 3 tracks before it and the tracks after it “Tonight” and “Shiny Collarbone” 2 tracks I feel weren't needed at all.

I feel like this album either should of been worked on longer with more thought put into the direction and the message they wanted to convey or I could also see the album being released earlier with 7-9 less songs with what happened being that they just kept adding songs because they made them. The album has some great songs but it’s just not cohesive with the others. In the past, The 1975 have created albums that everyone should listen to because of how well they produce, how great they are at stringing songs together track to track and their ability to convey important messages. Whether it be about coming of age or the social anxieties we all face including ones with technology. I don’t feel like this album is good enough to say that about. 5/10
  20. May 22, 2020
    The 1975 somehow cover a myriad of genres, and cover them well. Moving through heavy rock, garage, country, dance, and folk music, this eclectic album somehow offers a range of huge ideas without feeling overly cluttered and overwhelming. The enormous track listing may appear over blown and bloated, it's necessary to explore the ideas that rattle around in Healy's head. All of this beforeThe 1975 somehow cover a myriad of genres, and cover them well. Moving through heavy rock, garage, country, dance, and folk music, this eclectic album somehow offers a range of huge ideas without feeling overly cluttered and overwhelming. The enormous track listing may appear over blown and bloated, it's necessary to explore the ideas that rattle around in Healy's head. All of this before the production. Just wow. George Daniel has truly outdone himself, displaying why he's one of the most exciting and versatile producers around.

Stick about. There's more this band have to offer.
  21. May 22, 2020
    Pretentious, convoluted mess of an album. Could’ve been trimmed to a promising EP.
  22. May 22, 2020
    Although it isn’t my favorite album by the 1975, I still think this album is a very good album. I loved every song on the album except the opener and Shiny Collarbone. Although the band has changed a lot stylistically/sound-wise, I still think they are doing it in an enjoyable fashion. If you’re someone that doesn’t enjoy albums that aren’t like their past albums, then I can tell you thatAlthough it isn’t my favorite album by the 1975, I still think this album is a very good album. I loved every song on the album except the opener and Shiny Collarbone. Although the band has changed a lot stylistically/sound-wise, I still think they are doing it in an enjoyable fashion. If you’re someone that doesn’t enjoy albums that aren’t like their past albums, then I can tell you that you might not enjoy a lot of this album. The band took a risky leap, and I think that they landed perfectly with flying colors. I think that this album is the perfect ending to the “Music for Cars” era. I was so excited for this album, despite having 6 delays, there was nothing that could stop me from being as excited as I was. It exceeded my expectations. I like the way the bands sound changed. And to talk about the point about it being “pretentious” and “showing a big ego”, I really don’t see how it is pretentious or egotistical. It is a tiny bit pretentious, but nowhere near as pretentious as a lot of people are acting like it is. And I don’t find it egotistical at all. Overall, I liked the production of the album as a whole. Also listening to The Birthday Party on the actual album made me appreciate the song more. It was my least favorite single, but now I love the song. I don’t really know what else to say besides in my honest opinion this is my favorite album of 2020 so far, and I’m sure it won’t be topped. Expand
  23. May 23, 2020
    a lauded attempt but misses the target massively. at its best, the material here is just passable, at its worst, it's boring. the six minute time fodder 'having no head' is three minutes of nothing, and then a build up into some of the most cliche electronica i've ever sat through, it's the type of thing autechre would be embarrassed to have passed in a bowel movement.

the essentials

the essentials off this album are 'people', 'guys', 'me & you together song', 'if you're too shy (let me know)' and 'playing on my mind': you can skip the rest. frail state of mind' is fine for what it is but an awful foreshadowing of about 40 percent of this record (droning, dull electronica)

too many directionless instrumentals, too many cul-de sac songs that lead you nowhere and far too self-indulgent. matty healy may think he's rock's new jesus, but this album will leave you twiddling your thumbs, waiting for the crucifixion.
  24. May 25, 2020
    I was anticipating something even better than their previous album, but I guess that's kinda fun, too. However, Notes on a conditional form has some perfect songs.
  25. May 27, 2020
    NOACF is utterly tasteless and incompetently mixed, devoid of creativity or interesting melodies. This half country / half ambient synth-pop record is beyond misguided: it's lazy. The 1975 are a skeleton of what they once were.
  26. May 23, 2020
    I waited so long for it, I've been blessed. Very different from the previous albums but just as good.
  27. May 22, 2020
    An interesting blend of the usual 1975 fare with a diversion into garage/house. There's some usual 1975 fare (Roadkill) with instrumentals such as Having No Head which feels like the soundtrack to Uncut Gems, but unfortunately a lot of the instrumentals feel repetitive and lack meaning. Definitely the beautiful mess as many describe with a track listing that is all over the place as it'sAn interesting blend of the usual 1975 fare with a diversion into garage/house. There's some usual 1975 fare (Roadkill) with instrumentals such as Having No Head which feels like the soundtrack to Uncut Gems, but unfortunately a lot of the instrumentals feel repetitive and lack meaning. Definitely the beautiful mess as many describe with a track listing that is all over the place as it's far too long shifting to too many genres and moods at one time but it's still worth a listen. Expand
  28. May 22, 2020
    This album is great but some songs like Roadkill, Shiny Collarbone and Yeah I Know should probably have not been included in the album. I think the pushing back of the album was negative knowing that more songs were going to be in the album. The singles are great. Maybe they should have shorten the album by 12-15 songs, not have 22 songs on it.
  29. May 25, 2020
    I do admire The 1975's ambition, experimenting with different genres, and making the album's scope MASSIVE. (The album's length is a whopping 80 MINUTES!)
  30. May 22, 2020
    Brilliant sonic soundscapes and a huge range. This is a superb album - varied, vibrant and vital!
  31. May 22, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The singles were so good! What happened?!?!? There is a lot of filler (which is unnecessary because there are 22 songs, which means that there is room scrap some things) I was kinda bored while listening to the album. And NOTHING IS COHESIVE!! don’t get me wrong! I really enjoy about half of the album, I just think they should’ve spent a little bit more time on this project because there are some really good songs... like all of the singles. So yeah, 5/10. Expand
  32. May 25, 2020
    the great part of the album is varied, The 1975 shows us that once again they are not only an indie band but they know how to go further than their base genre.
  33. May 25, 2020
    Dope album. Only band putting out new music with anything meaningful or thought provoking.
  34. May 28, 2020
    I'd call myself a fan of the 1975, I've been to a live show I watch their music videos, have all their albums on CD. So I feel I'm quite familiar with their stuff but Jesus what a waste of time this album is. We saw glimpses of Matty's pretentious side from the second LP and even more with their second latest album 'A brief enquiry into online relationships' but this latest album isI'd call myself a fan of the 1975, I've been to a live show I watch their music videos, have all their albums on CD. So I feel I'm quite familiar with their stuff but Jesus what a waste of time this album is. We saw glimpses of Matty's pretentious side from the second LP and even more with their second latest album 'A brief enquiry into online relationships' but this latest album is something else. An uncohesive mess of songs that mean nothing, say nothing but think they are. It's clear they just wanted to make a massive LP without giving it any thought as there are many songs on the album which are just nothing, just noise. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate interludes and breaks within long albums, like Paramore did with their self titled album, but the difference is. The interludes in that album were short and sweet and matched the tone and style of the album, with this album however these instrumental songs just feel like filler as some are over 6 minutes long! It's clear they just put it in here to give it an excuse to be longer. Tonally the album is also a mess, with a hugely misleading single 'People' which is punk with hints of heavy rock (Best song on the album) and nothing on the album sounds even remotely similar, you have electronic, autotunes messes and only ONE song on the album which sounds even remotely like their first album 'If your to shy' this song is a highlight of the album as it reminds you which band your listening to, which believe me when you listen to this, you need to be reminded of it.
    Having said all of this there are some kinda good things about the album, the more 1975 sounding songs are genuinely entertaining and fun to listen to. Songs like 'If your to shy' and even 'Me and you together song' But this does not excuse the self indulgent, cocky, ego fuelled awful songs that appear on this album. What a mess, would recommend to listen to if you want to fall asleep, or give an example of a band that are having an identity crisis.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 26 Critic Reviews

1. May 27, 2020
    The diversity is so vast and so well done that it’s almost commendable. Mainly though, it’s just a bit much for one sitting, and instead feels more like you’re listening to The 1975 radio on Spotify.
  2. May 26, 2020
    It might not live up to its lofty goals, but the sheer amount of daring on Notes on a Conditional Form solidifies the four guitar-wielding dudes of the 1975 as the biggest, boldest, and brashest purveyors of something resembling what we used to call rock n’ roll, which, as Healy knows well, was always at least as much a pose as a sound. He wears it well.
  3. May 22, 2020
    By putting us off-guard so many times earlier in the album, maybe Healy feels he’s earned the right to be mawkish, in the clinch. And maybe he’s also earned our willingness to put the whole 22-track affair on replay, give or take a mere half-dozen skips.