• Record Label: Matador
  • Release Date: May 15, 2020
8.8

Review this album

1. May 15, 2020
    This album is just phenomenal. Intimate, passionate yet experimental. It’s got sounds reminiscent of each of his previous albums, but it’s a completely new body of work.
  2. May 15, 2020
    I’m in awe by how laconic yet capacious his lyrics are. Not to mention the poetry and intimacy of it, backed by the softness of the music. And no skips whatsoever! This is a 10 baby.
  3. May 15, 2020
    Deserves every bit of the praise it's receiving. Flows seamlessly despite all the varying styles within the album-- dreamy layered art pop to fuzzy shoegaze. Beautifully produced by Blake Mills, never feels bloated. One of the most satisfying listens of the year so far.
    Fav tracks: Moonbend, Leave, Jason, On The Floor, Borrowed Light, Some Dream
  4. May 15, 2020
    Definitely my favourite album of him so far. While the album maintains his essence, it manages to show a much more mature and confident face of Perfume Genius.
  5. May 17, 2020
    Coming in I was expecting greatness and I was left with more than that. I didn’t expect this album to make me cry and make me feel so connected with every emotion he wanted me to feel. Fantastic album. Probably his best work yet and might be the best album I’ve heard in years.
  6. May 15, 2020
    if MY WHOLE LIFE is perfume's, according to himself, best song he ever wrote, well i think i have disconnected with the guy along the way. elderness is a terrible thing. no more underground rebel idgaf attitude. the new material is childish, obedient and critics favourite. that last one, alone talks for itself the best, about how safe is what you're going to listen.
    i still love the guy,
    i still love the guy, but i don't like his boyfriend. it looks like he keeps Mike away from them sharp edges of life's tragedy. so that art can please, at large and wide, today.
  7. May 19, 2020
    Such an ethereal, moving, intense experience. Easily one the best albums of the year (if not the best) and possibly Perfume Genius' most accomplished work yet. Definitely recommended to everyone who's looking for a lot of drama and virtuosity in music production.
  8. May 24, 2020
    One of the greatest records of the year!! The sound completely changes from song to song to never make it a monotonous experience and those profoundly deep and personal lyrics feel like I'm reading a diary of someone I shouldn't. Just wonderful stuff
  9. May 23, 2020
    Amazing and exciting album. The best of the year or at least one of the best.
  10. May 20, 2020
    The beauty of his music hasn't gone anywhere, neither the uniqueness, the frailty and the strength, the thoroughness, the will to expose himself and his feeling on such a way. Precious from start to finish. For the first 3 listenings, it could give you the impression that the line that separates this and his previous work is a little blurry (particularly, in relation to No Shape), butThe beauty of his music hasn't gone anywhere, neither the uniqueness, the frailty and the strength, the thoroughness, the will to expose himself and his feeling on such a way. Precious from start to finish. For the first 3 listenings, it could give you the impression that the line that separates this and his previous work is a little blurry (particularly, in relation to No Shape), but after that, Set My Heart on Fire Immediately shows to us its real face, and turns out that no, it's not that similar to No Shape, it's not less interesting than Too Bright, its production isn't one step behind. The only fact that Borrowed Light is the last track on this thing is enough statement that this album is probably his best work yet, and that he is, indeed, a Genius. Expand
  11. May 18, 2020
    [84]

No último dia 15 de maio, Perfume Genius lançou mais um disco e dessa vez o intitulou de “Set My Heart on Fire Immediately”. Marcando mais uma era, Mike Hadreas mostra sua incrível capacidade como cantor e compositor, sempre destacando sua vida pessoal e as causas que ele defende. A abertura do álbum é suave, misturando o instrumental gentil com elementos do rock e shoegaze e
    [84]

A abertura do álbum é suave, misturando o instrumental gentil com elementos do rock e shoegaze e transmitindo um tom de psicodelia pela sua voz, como na faixa “Describe”, o trajeto que é seguido até o fim é semeado por diversos instrumentos e ritmos distintos. Hadreas consegue construir um ambiente muito agradável, usando essas vertentes instrumentais e sussurros tranquilizantes.
    Outras características bem utilizadas por Mike em seus outros trabalhos também aparecem aqui, como as leves referências da música medieval e clássica, aproveitando da harpa e de outros instrumentos doces para aromatizar o ambiente musical, além de trazer um pouco da música espanhola para o disco.
    “Set My Heart on Fire Immediately” afirma mais ainda o talento do compositor, utilizando letras enigmáticas e uma voz muito bem colocada em cada canção, o que faz algumas faixas parecerem orações, exemplo disso é “Leave”. Mike revisita velhas experiências e traz os sentimentos a tona de novo, como em “Jason”, além disso, ele deixa claro que não precisa de muitas palavras para espalhar emoções.
    A produção pode parecer simples em alguns momentos, mas sem dúvidas é certeira e segue uma coesão. Blake Mills é o produtor que ajudou Perfume Genius a dar vida e perfeição ao álbum. Mesmo nadando por águas experimentais com canções sem chorus definidos, o trabalho se tornou único na carreira de ambos.

Ouvindo o disco algumas vezes fui gostando cada vez mais, é claramente um trabalho delicado que não foi feito apenas para ouvir, mas sim para sentir todo o conjunto singelo e envolvente criado por Mike Hadreas. “Set My Heart on Fire Immediately” precisa ser degustado em momentos calmos para que tudo seja transmitido das canções para os ouvintes, ou seja seu coração pode ser incendiado imediatamente ou não e isso chamou atenção da crítica e do público, uma vez que o trabalho foi aclamado com notas maravilhosas.

Anty.
  12. May 22, 2020
    The new album is undeniably their most mature, a record filled with incredibly dense ballads, where his voice is presented with more depth and range. It sometimes channels Roy Orbison (Whole life), Kate Bush (Without you) or even Cocteau Twins (Leave), but with a twist only him, this queer genius, could do.

Universal acclaim - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. Uncut
    May 22, 2020
    These delectable hookfests metaphorically parallel Hadreas's move from the gloom of his Seattle hometown to his new base in sunswept L.A. [Jul 2020, p.33]
  2. May 19, 2020
    Moses Sumney and Mike Hadreas have made the albums of our strange quarantine season — bleak but tender, sprawling yet intricately detailed, as suffused with the need for physical contact as they are alert to its dangers and prohibitions. ... Stunning art-soul record. ... Yet as busy as the music can occasionally feel, both albums keep close track of the singers’ voices, which always merit the attention.
  3. May 18, 2020
    The sturdy structures of pop only go so far in Perfume Genius songs. They provide reassurance that others have found ways to capture similar feelings. But they can’t hold back the immediacy of longing, the all-consuming physical need. That’s captured in a pair of songs near the end of the album.