• Record Label: Reprise
  • Release Date: Feb 7, 2020
5.8

Review this album

1. Feb 15, 2020
    "Green Day has attempted to remain tuned during late years despite the trilogy misadventure although Revolution Radio was evidence of a revindication as if the band was rightfully following the proper steps to revive their golden 2000s moments with some striking hard rock themes, getting political as their predecessors American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and omitting any sound"Green Day has attempted to remain tuned during late years despite the trilogy misadventure although Revolution Radio was evidence of a revindication as if the band was rightfully following the proper steps to revive their golden 2000s moments with some striking hard rock themes, getting political as their predecessors American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown and omitting any sound distortion and inconsistent lyrics. Mournfully, the recent release "FATHER OF ALL" is just a slap in the face to the fans who have been following them for a long time. It seems the punk rock Californians are leaving their original essence".
    ...
    September 10th was assumed to be a spectacular celebration for the Idiot Nation because Green Day was due to release their first single. The prime feeling you might have caught was optimism wondering how these fellows were going to astound you. After hearing the opening song, you notice the manner the band wholly changed but for negative. It felt as dreadful as their 2012s "Nightlife" song, completely uninspiring and awkward. As the weeks advanced, the second single felt loads better, still eccentric and below the average quality of Green Day. January arrived with the third single bringing back an O.K. danceable version of "Kill the DJ". Overall, the singles were scarcely enjoyable. Now it was time to hear the album, and the expectations almost banished, they were officially the lowest I had for a very long time. The Californian punk-rock combo seemed to be out of shape. Yet, it was merited a try. After all, these guys have a vast experience.
    ...
    To sum up, staying awake on February 7th was not a pleasant experience. Still, it was not the worst either. The album began with the three mediocre songs mentioned above and continued with copy-pasted songs [Stab You in the Heart as their 2012s disastrous F**k Time] yet alongside with rare bright songs as "Meet me on the Roof" and "Junkies on a High". The guitars sounded terrific, and the bass had the proper time to shine in some beautiful chorus. Nothing wrong with the instruments I daresay. The main issue came from the brevity of the record: a twenty-six-minute experience in which the band only offered an irritating high-pitched adventure. The unfocused lyrics give an unpleasant sense of glamour as if the trio is messing around providing inconsistent and diverse topics going with no direction. It appears Billie Joe and bandmates are compilating random songs as previously displayed [and mentioned] with 2012s UNO, DOS, TRE. It is such a pity to behold how low the performance can get through the years. But people, let's look at least on the bright sight. Green day throughout their existence as a band always enjoyed trying new sounds going from acoustic melodies [Warning] to pop tunes [Father of All] which succeeds partially in songs like "Oh Yeah" not giving whatsoever the expected result.
    ...
    Nevertheless, as a true fan, I feel completely disappointed
    [42/100]
  2. Feb 17, 2020
    Wow. Just wow. I've been a fan of Green Day for decades now. I've loved every album, even the trilogy. I liked it all. But this is just god **** awful. All of the songs sound like garbage. The production is awful, the song structures are beyond basic, the lyrics are cringey and cliched, the instrumentation is bland, the writing has been done a million times before. It sounds like they wereWow. Just wow. I've been a fan of Green Day for decades now. I've loved every album, even the trilogy. I liked it all. But this is just god **** awful. All of the songs sound like garbage. The production is awful, the song structures are beyond basic, the lyrics are cringey and cliched, the instrumentation is bland, the writing has been done a million times before. It sounds like they were given a day to write half an album worth of songs for commercials. It's a sad husk of what they used to be. Even ignoring the absolutely laughable marketing, the album is a **** stain on their legacy. I grew up listening to this band and it pains me to know that this is who they are now. This is the band who wrote Restless Heart Syndrome. This is the band who wrote Letterbomb. This is the band who wrote Welcome to Paradise. This is the band who wrote Brain Stew. This is the band who, on their last album, put out one of their best songs ever with Forever Now. And now we get this? Absolutely embarrassing. Expand
  3. Feb 13, 2020
    I've been listening to Green Day since Dookie. Every album from 39/smooth to Warning is pure gold. Warning at the time of release felt like it was their last go at and an end to something great. It still feels like that since nothing past it really feels like growth. I understand American Idiot is special for a lot of people. It has some bright spots on the album but to me it signaled theI've been listening to Green Day since Dookie. Every album from 39/smooth to Warning is pure gold. Warning at the time of release felt like it was their last go at and an end to something great. It still feels like that since nothing past it really feels like growth. I understand American Idiot is special for a lot of people. It has some bright spots on the album but to me it signaled the start of over-produced pop mush. I have no issue with pop music. But leave it to the pop artists that do it well. I don't want to hear phoned-in organ hooks and auto-tune on a Green Day album. Father of All **** is the epitome of their complete 180 degree turn from punk rock to overly sweet, ready-for-radio, fly-by, pop B.S. Expand
  4. Feb 7, 2020
    This is definitley a grower and nothing like what most people will be expecting, but it demonstrates both Green Day's love for their art and their passion to try new things!
  5. Feb 8, 2020
    It's beyond me how anyone can give this a 10. Is this the definition of a perfect Green Day album? I mean it's kind of insulting to their legacy if you think this a 10.
    As a once fanboy I can honestly say this is horrible, but I would still say it's better than Revolution Radio, which was cringe for the most part. This at least has some fun and unpretentious moments. Lyrics aside, this album has a few songs I might revisit once in a while. 'Oh Yeah' is pretty catchy, 'Father Of All' would be/ is a great live song, maybe even a gig opener for years to come. Unpopular opinion, but 'Teenage Teenager' works for me in all its cheesy glory kind of like a guilty pleasure track from a bad Weezer album. I absolutely loathe 'Stab Your Heart' which I'm a 100% sure rips off some oldie. Definitely heard that tune before. 'Sugar Youth' is decent, one of the better ones. 'Meet Me On The Roof' is a pleasing enough single. The rest are just bad to mediocre.

I honestly would love to rate this album higher but a 5 is the maximum it deserves going by the high standards they themselves have set throughout the years.
    I'll say this though, this album doesn't have the many lows that any album post-American Idiot had (ignoring Stab You In The Heart). That's a positive I guess.
  6. Feb 7, 2020
    I've been a Green Day fan for a long time now, back when I heard Holiday and Boulevard blasting on 2005 radio. They meant a lot to me during my formative years of music and adolescence, even if their music has lost that urgency and adrenaline. Father of All... is a mixed bag for me. Better than the Trilogy, not as good as Revolution Radio, which hasn't aged all too well after it's initialI've been a Green Day fan for a long time now, back when I heard Holiday and Boulevard blasting on 2005 radio. They meant a lot to me during my formative years of music and adolescence, even if their music has lost that urgency and adrenaline. Father of All... is a mixed bag for me. Better than the Trilogy, not as good as Revolution Radio, which hasn't aged all too well after it's initial release. I do appreciate the lean meat-and-potatoes approach of the album and making a pure rock-n-roll, or what constitutes as rock-n-roll these days with a mainstream mainstay like Green Day, but with the short run-time and the polish sheen sounding more like it wants to be played for car commercials or iPhone commercials, it feels more like a compromise for the major labels. Some of the energetic songs are good like the title cut, Sugar Youth, and Oh Yeah!, and the throwback to garage rock felt more energetic compared to Dos, and without a cringe worthy rap rock song, however so much of the clapping and very clear dad rock blueprints, it's more of an album with singles rather than anything truly cohesive. This will probably do well with licensing than upon repeated re-listening. As for me, I still have Dookie and American Idiot to come back to. Maybe every so often I will for this album. Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2020
    This is legit one of the worst rock records I have ever heard. As a Green Day super fan, I don't say this lightly about how atrocious and mind numbing this piece of garbage record is
  8. Feb 12, 2020
    ok. but not ok I expect something else. It has no soul. GreenDay trying to be like something else.
  9. Feb 13, 2020
    Holy **** this is garbage he really tried to make some stupid ass pop punk but went wayyyyy too far on the pop side. I've been a green day fan for years and this is just a massive disappointment. Green Day has been consistently bad over the past 10 years. I just can't stand this dumbass album.
  10. Feb 7, 2020
    As a whole, a nice fun album that did exceed expectations. FRA and Oh Yeah made me overall worried but thankfully, a lot of the songs that aren't singles are pretty solid. (Highlights: Father of All, Meet Me at the Roof, Stab You In The Heart)
  11. Feb 7, 2020
    With the release of the singles, I was very worried about this album but then when it released, I found myself really digging the deep cuts on this album. Side B is excellent, every song on Side B is great and the singles also grew on me somewhat. However, Teenage Teenager is an awful track (definitely the worst) and there are still elements of the singles that don't work too well for me.With the release of the singles, I was very worried about this album but then when it released, I found myself really digging the deep cuts on this album. Side B is excellent, every song on Side B is great and the singles also grew on me somewhat. However, Teenage Teenager is an awful track (definitely the worst) and there are still elements of the singles that don't work too well for me. And on an album that's 26 minutes long, when 4 of 10 songs don't work as well as the others, that is a pretty significant problem imo.

What works well: Graffitia is a fantastic track and a great closer. It sounds familiar, like some of the more classic sounding Green Day (i.e. from the early 2000s) but it's still different and fits on a modern GD album. Stab You in the Heart and Take the Money and Crawl are both fast-paced foxboro-ish sounding tracks that are a lot of fun to listen to. Sugar Youth is just a sugar rush with a great catchy chorus and Junkies On A High is the one experiment on this album that works really really well. The singles have also grown on me. Fire Ready Aim is catchy, Father of All works in ALMOST every way. The chorus is catchy, the instrumentation is great, the lyrics are quite interesting and Billie sounds good on this song most of the time. Meet Me On The Roof is a good fun track, the best of Side A but it's still not a favourite of mine like the tracks on Side B are

What doesn't really work: Teenage Teenager is a horrible track. The "I don't wanna freak you out" part sounds AWFUL. But then we get into a chorus which is somewhat catchy but very forgettable and boring. And the lyrics here are really bad. "I Was A Teenage Teenager"? "School is just for suckers"? Come on guys, you're better than this. Outside of this track, none of the other tracks are that bad. Father of All's verses have this really out of place falsetto with odd vocal effects but it doesn't last for too long so doesn't really ruin the track. Fire, Ready, Aim is repetitive but it's short and catchy enough not to get too annoying and nothing about Oh Yeah really stands out apart from some of the lyrics and meaning of the song. This would be fine if this were all the problems on an album that's over 40 minutes long, but at just 26 minutes long, there should be more quality to some of these songs. Oh the album cover is trash too.

For me, a strong 7. Despite my critiques, most of the songs work really well and the singles also have a lot to enjoy and appreciate about them. I'd say definitely give Side B of this album a fair shot. It's honestly very good
  12. Feb 7, 2020
    Well that was a surprise. This album is one of the most fun things I’ve heard recently. You can really tell they had fun while making it. I even like it better than revolution radio, great album.
  13. Feb 7, 2020
    They are good, in the genre of music they make!
    I expected the same as I have heard through the years, and yes, they made it again.
    Good record, excellent songs!

Boys are back in town!
  14. Feb 7, 2020
    Greenday können auch Spaß und es tut der Band gut nicht immer den Ernst des Lebens zu thematisieren
    Ich kann es nur empfehlen.
    Alle anderen sollen sich doch bitte verkriechen
  15. Feb 7, 2020
    Green Day choose to not sound how everybody excepted that they should be.
    Pretty refreshing sound, with inspiration from 60's 70's.
    Armstrong always on the top.
    Very enjoyable album ! 9/10
  16. Feb 7, 2020
    Great! They best album on a long time. They really put a incredible sound on a great dance songs.
  17. Feb 7, 2020
    A different sound for Green Day but very catchy
    Although the album lasts 26 minutes, it is very enjoyable
  18. Feb 7, 2020
    It's a really meh album. I do understand that they want to change up their sound, but it's still lacking.
  19. Feb 7, 2020
    Great album, new sounds, straight to the point. A big comeback that brings back this band to quality levels we have been missing for a while.
  20. Feb 8, 2020
    Father of All... is the perfect album that Green Day needed to make at this time in their career. It’s a fun ride that leaves you wanting more. Dare I say it’s their most joyful album since their start at 924 Gilman.
  21. Feb 7, 2020
    A big comeback for a band that has been around since 1989. This album might not be perfect, but it deserves a 10 nonetheless. Writing and producing a rock n roll album like Father of all... in 2020 requires talent and braveness. It might not be a classic punk rock record, but its own existence is the definition of punk.
  22. Feb 7, 2020
    I was expecting a bad album when I first heard the lead single from this album. But the truth is that this project is really interesting. It isn't their best album, but it is really enjoyable and listenable (and fun). If you hate Green Day, this album will be another reason to hate them, if you love them, you'll probably enjoy this album
  23. Lsj
    Feb 7, 2020
    This album rocks. New, fresh sound for Green Day. It’s a rollicking good time.
  24. Feb 9, 2020
    Drawing more on recent contemporaries like Fall Out Boy than their own classic sound, Green Day blast at a breakneck pace through glittery, hand-clapping schlock rock, middle fingers raised in true punk fashion, with more passion, energy, and innovation than we've seen from them in years.

Choice Cuts: "Fire, Ready, Aim", "Oh Yeah!", "Meet Me on the Roof"
  25. Feb 7, 2020
    I don't know what most people have been seeing online in places like Discord or Twitter on this album but everything I've been seeing has been mostly extremely negative. If I can give the haters one thing, that billboard that the band posted on Twitter was god awful. I don't know if it's my fangirlism that comes from Green Day being the first band I loved but I really enjoyed this album.I don't know what most people have been seeing online in places like Discord or Twitter on this album but everything I've been seeing has been mostly extremely negative. If I can give the haters one thing, that billboard that the band posted on Twitter was god awful. I don't know if it's my fangirlism that comes from Green Day being the first band I loved but I really enjoyed this album. It's probably their best album post American Idiot. I've listened to the record twice and I've really enjoyed it both times. It's a neat shift in direction that I think anyone who has anything staked in the band at this point should check out. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2020
    What happened with those guys? Where is the punk sound? What's original on this album?
  27. Feb 12, 2020
    Another different & excellent album...............................................................................................................................
  28. Feb 12, 2020
    Sound great and different. Direct & overwhelming album. Foxboro Hot Tubs vibes. Grow with every listen. I'm very sorry for the haters.
  29. Feb 14, 2020
    AaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaNão
  30. Feb 7, 2020
    Look, this is the best album this band released since 21CB. It’s short, but is a short, sweet, neat, adrenaline shot. The production and mixing is on top of everything, the songs are bangers, and they are so diverse. Great work from a band that has been around for over 30 years. Not something it could have been easy to expect from Green Day in 2020, in a really positive way.
  31. Feb 7, 2020
    Only one somehow listenable and original song on album and the rest is just a self-bait yet done so badly it literally hurts. I hope everything's as it is because dudes just want to get away from label's obligations... Or I just don't know. The album is total nonsense. As a fan I'm t totally disappointed.
  32. Feb 7, 2020
    It takes a special kind of album to be less than 30 minutes, and still make me feel like it wasted my time. This is music that would fit in perfectly in the next Kia or Apple commercial. It's boring, deflated, pointless and worst of all, just not fun.
  33. Feb 12, 2020
    An Absolutely terrible album. I can see why they had to drag other artists and genres since they haven’t been relevant for the past two decades and they needed the clout for people to listen to this horrible album.
  34. Feb 8, 2020
    Forgettable. Production is awful and unlistenable, and the lyrics are uninspired and childish (shame on you, Billie). I don't care if they want to try new things, they've been doing it since forever, but this is just bad. And the worst part: the band is proud of it. Go to therapy to fix your midlife crisis issues or retire already.
  35. Feb 8, 2020
    A great, enjoyable album that tries to recapture the 50/60/70's rock and roll sound in a modern way.
    Pure, straightforward rock and roll.
  36. Feb 7, 2020
    Complete but unfortunately expected disappointment after "Revolution radio". Zero meaning, zero passion, zero fun... Only glam, bore and stupid filters... This is particularly unfortunate in the brilliant background of old albums.
  37. Feb 7, 2020
    Billie has truly run out of things to say. Which I don't fault him for after 13 albums but. Cmon man.
  38. Feb 8, 2020
    My god, the production, the lyrics, the boomer energy. It's incredible how nothing seems to work, this is so bland that suddently I like Nine by blink-182 more now
  39. Feb 7, 2020
    Great songs, great lyrics, great music, great production, great Green Day record as se didn’t have in a while.
  40. Feb 7, 2020
    I first saw green day back on the nimrod tour in 1997 and it changed my life, every album from 1990 to 2000's warning was pure gold!
    Over the years green day have diluted their sound but this is ....just terrible. It's like they don't care and I thought it might have something to do with the end of there contract on there current label but it seems legit.

RIP Green day 1989 - 2020
  41. Feb 11, 2020
    Everything about this is lazy and phoned in. This isn't Green Day. This is recycled, radio friendly, mainstream trash. I've listened to this band for almost 30 years, I've stuck by through everything else. Even Uno, Dos, and Tre. I draw the line here. From a musical standpoint it's simplistic and uninspired. Do yourself a favor and listen to any other Green Day album and remember what theyEverything about this is lazy and phoned in. This isn't Green Day. This is recycled, radio friendly, mainstream trash. I've listened to this band for almost 30 years, I've stuck by through everything else. Even Uno, Dos, and Tre. I draw the line here. From a musical standpoint it's simplistic and uninspired. Do yourself a favor and listen to any other Green Day album and remember what they once were. Expand
  42. Feb 12, 2020
    Father of All is the first Green Day album I've not liked. It's also the first Green Day album where I haven't liked a single song on the whole project. Everything feels lazy, especially the lyrical content and artwork.
  43. Feb 9, 2020
    Thank u, next outsold this trash projet. Ariana's Karma never fail
    U clown better wash this **** mouth when u GO talk about pop princess
  44. Feb 12, 2020
    Who the **** is this and what have they done with the Greenday I used to listen to, grew up with, and loved? Album Production is good but seriously this band is barely recognizable to the band we used to know except for maybe "Sugar Youth" which is the best song on this record. The rest of it sounds like oldman hillybilly rock n roll hot gabage and is best avoided to preserve yourWho the **** is this and what have they done with the Greenday I used to listen to, grew up with, and loved? Album Production is good but seriously this band is barely recognizable to the band we used to know except for maybe "Sugar Youth" which is the best song on this record. The rest of it sounds like oldman hillybilly rock n roll hot gabage and is best avoided to preserve your remaining health and street cred. Expand
  45. Feb 8, 2020
    The perfect spiritual sucessor to "Stop Drop and Roll!!!" and "¡Dos!". Really enjoyable but too short.
  46. Feb 7, 2020
    Straight up Rock n Roll, free of political themes, this album is purely fun
  47. Feb 9, 2020
    The album is just rolling through my earphones... excellent, excellent... How do I miss irreverent but no-nonsense rock n roll in all its variations and iterations, but nowadays it's more and more endangered species. Green Day mix rough, banging sound with catchy poppy songs, lifting riffs and melodies from all over the place, but all in the good cause. Some anthemic moments, kitschy but aThe album is just rolling through my earphones... excellent, excellent... How do I miss irreverent but no-nonsense rock n roll in all its variations and iterations, but nowadays it's more and more endangered species. Green Day mix rough, banging sound with catchy poppy songs, lifting riffs and melodies from all over the place, but all in the good cause. Some anthemic moments, kitschy but a bit mythic anyway, something we badly need in these desolate times, something that can lift us from the darkness and into wild dance party. Expand
  48. Feb 8, 2020
    flops. ariana outsold this flop group. anyways stream tun instead instead of this trash.
  49. Feb 13, 2020
    Father of All… by Green Day: 8.25

Father of All…: 1 :) Fire, Ready Aim: 1 :) Oh Yeah: 0.75 Meet Me on the Roof: 1 :) I Was a Teenage Teenager: 0.75 Stab You in the Heart: 0.25 Sugar Youth: 1 :) Junkies on a High: 0.75 Take the Money and Crawl: 0.75 Graffitia: 1 8.25/10 ~ 8/10 Father of All… is Green Day’s most recent album, and it’s a heck of a good one. I feel like
    Father of All… by Green Day: 8.25

Father of All…: 1 :)
    Fire, Ready Aim: 1 :)
    Oh Yeah: 0.75
    Meet Me on the Roof: 1 :)
    I Was a Teenage Teenager: 0.75
    Stab You in the Heart: 0.25
    Sugar Youth: 1 :)
    Junkies on a High: 0.75
    Take the Money and Crawl: 0.75
    Graffitia: 1

8.25/10 ~ 8/10

Father of All… is Green Day’s most recent album, and it’s a heck of a good one. I feel like Green Day hyped this album up a lot, and for the most part, my expectations were met and exceeded. Father of All… (the song) and “Fire, Ready, Aim” were both fantastic songs that I would be able to listen to again and again. Oh Yeah was the other song released as sort of a preview for this album (along with the first two) and while the music was top notch, I would’ve preferred a little less repetitiveness with the lyrics in the chorus. Meet Me on the Roof was a very fun and danceable song, and it sounds a little unlike what Green Day has produced in the past, but it totally fits them and is a welcome difference. I Was a Teenage Teenager has a nice foundation bassline, but I wasn’t sure about its lyrics, though I can get down with the attitude behind the song of just being a normal person lost in a sea of talent. Stab You in the Heart was just too much. The music almost sounded like something The Beatles would write, though they would never write the lyrics found in that song; they were just too graphic and they didn’t fit the happy music part of the song. Sugar Youth was awesome, bringing me back to the days of Green Day’s older albums, like Dookie. Junkies on a High was okay, I didn’t know about the subject matter, though the music was good. Take the Money and Crawl was a really good song until the end when they brought in a line I didn’t like and swore without a good reason. Graffitia was a great song, kinda reminding me of the last part of the song 21st Century Breakdown when it was slower but really cool. Plus the lyrics in Graffitia were pretty nice. All in all, a very nice album from Green Day. I look forward to listening to their other stuff because I’ve reviewed a small percentage of what they have wrote, and they are one of my favorite artists. All fans of Green Day will love Father of All…, as well as other fans of rock music. Highlights: Father of All…; Fire, Ready, Aim; Meet Me on the Roof; Sugar Youth; and Graffitia.
  50. Feb 14, 2020
    Half the album sounds like it was written for Google Pixel commercials. Clap happy tech punk with heavy vocal filters. There are some good catchy songs nonetheless.
  51. Feb 11, 2020
    I like it. Catchy and infectious. Will divide opinion for the Dookie and post AI fans. Fave tracks: Father of All, Take the Money and Crawl, Graffitia
  52. Feb 7, 2020
    This album was solid. While I think it could've been longer, it was pretty good. The thing is a lot of the songs sounded basically the same. The album is about teenage-hood and just living life on a day-to-day basis and not really thinking about the consequences. Songs like "Fire, Ready, Aim" especially show this. Most of the songs on the record are pretty good, but not great. 2 songs areThis album was solid. While I think it could've been longer, it was pretty good. The thing is a lot of the songs sounded basically the same. The album is about teenage-hood and just living life on a day-to-day basis and not really thinking about the consequences. Songs like "Fire, Ready, Aim" especially show this. Most of the songs on the record are pretty good, but not great. 2 songs are great. The opening track, "Father of All..." and the closing track "Graffitia". The distorted falsetto on the opening is really good, and the song sums up the sentiment of the album pretty well. The last song is basically a protest song, like something out of American Idiot. Graffitia is just a great song. The worst song by far on the record is "Meet Me on the Roof". It is about what you expect, meeting a girl on the roof to hook up. Not the most original song to say the least. The song sounds similar to other songs on the album but a thousand times worst. The chorus is just simply awful. In sum, the album was pretty good but nothing special.

Favorite Tracks: Father of All..., Graffitia
    Least Favorite Tracks: Meet Me on the Roof
  53. Feb 9, 2020
    I'll be honest, I didn't expect much from this album going into it. I wasn't even excited to listen to it. I will say that even without complex morals or extreme ambitions, Green Day can make something fun to listen to. Many people suspected a filler album from Father of All..., myself included, but I've found myself enjoying it. I understand that it could have been more. I even supportI'll be honest, I didn't expect much from this album going into it. I wasn't even excited to listen to it. I will say that even without complex morals or extreme ambitions, Green Day can make something fun to listen to. Many people suspected a filler album from Father of All..., myself included, but I've found myself enjoying it. I understand that it could have been more. I even support the fact that it should've been more, but just in terms of listening pleasure, most of this album is surprisingly fun, and Green Day accomplished everything they were trying to accomplish. I do want to point out Graffitia, the final song on the album, for its fantastic atmosphere and tone to end a pretty careless album. If you don't want to listen to half an hour of Father of All..., just listen to Graffitia. It's great. Expand
  54. Feb 13, 2020
    Overall it is an ok album. It reminds me a lot of uno, dos, tre mixed with some old school early 90's Green Day. However, I had a rough time going through the album being a loyal Green Day since 2003, when I was in elementary school. I loved their older music and American idiot. However, this I feel misses the mark for me, it was a good concept to mix their new and old sound. I thinkOverall it is an ok album. It reminds me a lot of uno, dos, tre mixed with some old school early 90's Green Day. However, I had a rough time going through the album being a loyal Green Day since 2003, when I was in elementary school. I loved their older music and American idiot. However, this I feel misses the mark for me, it was a good concept to mix their new and old sound. I think revolution radio is there best album in the past 10 years at this point. Expand
  55. Feb 16, 2020
    It’s revolutionary ! It’s new! Bad single choices, but stab you in the heart, gerfftia and meet me on the roof are bops.
  56. Feb 16, 2020
    There are a lot of disappointed fans of the group that hate this album. There are also many that love this album. After what the group has put out in the past 2 decades why hate this album? They have nothing else to prove. They started as punk, went more ambitious, sold millions and deserve to record whatever the hell they feel like recording.
    I think the songs on "Father of All" are fun
    I think the songs on "Father of All" are fun to listen and full of energy. The only negative i can find is that there isn't enough of material fur a full album to put out. 26 minutes? I've seen some EP's longer than that. That's like Metallica putting an album made of 4 songs (they average 6-7 minutes in length) and still charge full price. I really think Billy and the guys recorded way more than 10 songs and keep remaining locked for the next album. I also think they went like this: **** it, let's pick 10 fastest songs from 30 that we've recorded and put out a fun album. Nobody cares how short it's going to be, just look at freakin' Bruno Mars most of his albums are less than 40 minutes and he sells them like fresh buns!
    This actually is a very smart business decision, why **** around for 12 months and make a concept album (American Idiot) when you can spend 3 and have fun!
    Keep em coming guys, I'm expecting something new in one year!
  57. Feb 18, 2020
    I have 22 years as a Green Day fan and I will always support them, I can also appreciate when a band tries something that could be considered different but frankly this album offers nothing worth remembering.
    The songs lack imagination and direction.
    The songs lack imagination and direction.

If you tell me that these 26 minutes of music is the best that Green Day can offer after almost 4 years, then maybe they should start reconsidering their future as a band.

Billie Joe Armstrong is two years away of turning 50, you have to know when you should stop writing songs like if you were a teenager.
  58. Feb 18, 2020
    The best punk rock band, Green Day, is back. And he does it with a great album, possibly the best of his genre in this 2020
  59. Feb 15, 2020
    TLDR: This album is just bad. it seems that Green Day is trying too hard to be something that they are not.

I hate to sound like one of those cynical fans who feel like nothing is good since American Idiot. However, this album does not strike me as good. In general the tracks feel way too polished for a Green Day album and seem to feature less punk aspects than early Green Day. This album does not offer anything new to the table and proves that punk is almost dead.

Father of All... -
    As the title track, it's role is to set the tone of the entire album. This is unfortunate because of how meh this track is. It's certainly not offensive to my ears but I wouldn't listen to it again. That being said it's one of the best tracks in the album imo. 6.5/10

Fire, Ready, Aim -
    Again, this track is not very original. It seems very derivative of some of their other songs including American Idiot. I am also growing very tired of their vocalizations in this song, (Ah-ah-ah-ah). This song is very lacking with its lyrics. All in all, it is a boring song that I can see being played in locker rooms. 6/10

Oh Yeah-
    Not a terrible song, it made me sick of the words, Oh Yeah, but other than that it was ok.
    6.7/10

Meet Me on the Roof-
    These songs are starting to melt together, they sound so similar. This song proves the bands descent into mediocre pop status. 5.5/10

I was a Teenage Teenager-
    Very reminiscent of early Weezer. I don't hate Weezer but Comparing Green Day to them should be seen as an insult. One of the worst songs on the album. Interesting choice to make this the longest song. 4.7/10

Stab You in the Heart-
    Not a bad song, but it does not remind me of Green Day. Good performance by Billie Joe Armstrong. 7/10

Sugar Youth-
    Very forgettable song, similar to Stab You in the Heart. 6/10

Junkies on a High-
    This is one of the worst songs on the album. It feels like Green Day is trying much too hard to appeal to a different crowd on this album and this song is Exhibit B. 5.5/10

Take the Money and Crawl-
    Weirdly enough, I liked the intro more than the actual song. The intro felt far more fresh and new than this pandering pop song which sounds incredibly similar to Fire Ready Aim. 6.2/10

Graffitia-
    This is the worst track on the album IMO, Exhibit A of Green Day's descent into pop. This seems to be the final nail in the coffin of what made Green Day great in the first place. Give this song a listen for yourself and see if you agree with me. 4/10
  60. Feb 17, 2020
    this album sounds like a lot of different bands, but not one of them being green day. at least not anywhere close to quality green day. it’s certainly not their best, but its also not the worst. I think its just slightly better than the trilogy. I am honestly confused that so many people enjoyed it, but who am I to tell you what to like. objectively though, this is one of green day’s mostthis album sounds like a lot of different bands, but not one of them being green day. at least not anywhere close to quality green day. it’s certainly not their best, but its also not the worst. I think its just slightly better than the trilogy. I am honestly confused that so many people enjoyed it, but who am I to tell you what to like. objectively though, this is one of green day’s most weakest and mixed albums. the lack of songwriting, unoriginality, and overproduction makes this short album feel like hours, in a bad way. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 25 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 18, 2020
    Green Day have become the very thing they once despised: buck-chasin’ mild boys of mayonnaise corporate rock.
  2. Feb 18, 2020
    Certain songs try to recapture their old glory, while others feel like an embarrassing pop ploy—but the most consistent feeling is pure disappointment. Even when Green Day is supposedly having fun here, they sound tired and overworked at best.
    Father of All Motherfuckers is a danceable, feel-good pop album with some really stellar songwriting and, after the impotent Revolution Radio and the ludicrous ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré! trilogy, seeing Green Day branch out a bit and succeed at something different is refreshing. It’s a sign of artists with a great deal of range and imagination who are far from done surprising us.